Text: Ephesians 2:9
God’s perspective on His gift of Jesus Christ
First, there is the RECIPIENT of the gift
- Gifts aren’t just given to anyone willy nilly. It begins with the idea that I care about you and now I want to do something for you.
- John 3:16 – God so loved the world that He GAVE. But it is also personal.
- The response of love toward someone you love is that you GIVE –
Second, there is the THOUGHT of the gift
- act of affection that
- 1 Peter 1:18-20 Forasmuch as ye know that ye were not redeemed with corruptible things, as silver and gold, from your vain conversation received by tradition from your fathers: But with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot: Who verily was foreordained before the foundation of the world…
- Revelation 13:8 And all that dwell upon the earth shall worship him, whose names are not written in the book of life of the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world.
- God the Father had thought very long about the gift He would give
Third, there is the COST of the gift
- Romans 5:8 But God commendeth his love toward us in that while we were yet sinners Christ died for us
- If it was not necessary, why did God put such a high price for Jesus Christ to pay. In fact, even Jesus Christ said if there is another way to do this please let this cup pass from me. God the Father answered that prayer with, This is the only way.
- Cost was so high because the need was so great – Philippians 2:7 But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men: And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross.
- To get a better understanding of your sin, take a look at the price Jesus Christ had to pay for it.
Fourth, there is the PACKAGING of the gift
- I remember wrapping Christmas gifts in Comic strips when I was a kid cause I thought it was fun. I remember giving a huge gift to my mom one Christmas. She opened it and inside was a smaller box. She opened the smaller box and inside was another smaller box.
- Philippians 2:8, made of no reputation – born of a virgin, what complications arise?! Just an unwed mother.
- 1 John 1:1-4 That which was from the beginning, which we have heard, which we have seen with our eyes, which we have looked upon, and our hands have handled, of the Word of life (For the life was manifested, and we have seen it, and bear witness, and shew unto you that eternal life, which was with the Father, and was manifested unto us;) That which we have seen and heard declare we unto you, that ye also may have fellowship with us: and truly our fellowship iswith the Father, and with his Son Jesus Christ. And these things write we unto you, that your joy may be full.
Fifth, there is the OPPORTUNITY to give the gift
- Ephesians 2:7, 14-17 The gift more important than anything else. So what I’m going to do is create a nation through which to give my gift – salvation is of the Jews. I will show them my ways and point them to the gift – book of Hebrews describes it.
- Acts 2:23 Determinate counsel of God
- Christmas – more blessed to give than to receive. God the Father had created a calendar in which His gift would be given – Passover.
- If you have not believed on Jesus Christ and taken him as the savior from your sin, today that is the offer God is making to you.
Sixth, there is the JOY of watching someone open the gift
- Luke 15:7 – salvation
- 1 John 5:20 – know Him
- growing in your understanding of Jesus Christ – continue unwrapping the gift
- 1 Peter 4:10 As every man hath received the gift, even so minister the same one to another, as good stewards of the manifold grace of God.
Seventh, there is the REJECTED gift
- Maybe you’ve rejected because you didn’t know Jesus Christ was being offered
- Maybe you’ve rejected because you didn’t know you needed the gift
- Maybe you’ve rejected because you didn’t know how to receive the gift