Text: John 1:19-34
Get Your Eyes on Jesus
Behold – Look
Because seeing Jesus for who He is affects who you are
- People do what they are and everything about your identity is tied to Jesus Christ.
- We define ourselves by our occupation rather than by who we are in relation to Jesus Christ.
- John the Baptist is the voice that heralds the Word of God.
- he is preferred before me… Preferred by who? By God the Father. The Pharisees are religious and blind to the work of God.
- Idolatry is a great sin – people want something to look at and what they look at is what they become like –
- Psalm 135:15-18 The idols of the heathen are silver and gold, the work of men’s hands. They have mouths, but they speak not; eyes have they, but they see not; They have ears, but they hear not; neither is there any breath in their mouths. They that make them are like unto them: so is every one that trusteth in them.
- Isaiah 45:20-22 Assemble yourselves and come; draw near together, ye that are escaped of the nations: they have no knowledge that set up the wood of their graven image, and pray unto a god that cannot save. Tell ye, and bring them near; yea, let them take counsel together: who hath declared this from ancient time? who hath told it from that time? have not I the LORD? and there is no God else beside me; a just God and a Saviour; there is none beside me. Look unto me, and be ye saved, all the ends of the earth: for I am God, and there is none else.
- Justified, Sanctified, Wisdom, Accepted, Redeemed, Called, Ambassador, buried and raised with Christ – this is a description of saved people who belong to God in Jesus Christ
Because it affects your attitude about others
- Pharisees ask: Who are you?
- Help you understand what God is doing
- John the Baptist not the idea of God’s minister. In a lineup trying to figure out God’s man we have the well groomed, upscale, educated Pharisees next to a man with honeycomb in his beard wearing camel’s hair and a leather girdle. And the question is who is God using? Which stems from another question, what is God doing at this time in history?
- Help you and I love others – Watch his example of washing disciples feet. Feed the flock.
Get Your Heart on Jesus
the Lamb of God
The better you get to know Jesus Christ the easier it is to recognize and accept His work in you
- God had been preparing Israel for this time for centuries.
- Ex 12:3-5 “a,” “the,” “your” lamb – Jesus is the Lamb of God, Jn 1:29, but he must be “your” Savior.
- Ex 12:5 without blemish – Jesus was the Lamb without blemish, 1 Pet 1:19
- Ex 12:5 a male – Jesus is “the Man,” 1 Tim 2:5, the Son of God
- Ex 12:6 Israel shall kill it – in Acts 2:23, 36 Peter held the men of Israel responsible for the death of Jesus
- Ex 12:9 roast w/ fire – Jesus went to hell [Acts 2:27, 31]
- Ex 12:10 nothing remain till morning – Jesus was taken down from the cross the same afternoon he was killed, Jn 19:31
- Ex 12:13 saved by the blood – Rom 5:9
- Ex 12:14 a memorial – 1 Cor 11:25 the Lord’s supper is “in remembrance of me” [a memorial, not a sacrifice]
- Ex 12:46; Num 9:12 no bone broken – Jesus’ side was pierced, not a bone of his body was broken, Jn 19:34-36
- Deut 16:6 – when the Jews entered Canaan, they were to keep the Passover at “the place” (Jerusalem) – in Gen 22:2 Abraham took Isaac [a type of Christ] to this place to offer him for a burnt offering [like Passover] – this place was in the mountains of Moriah where Christ was killed, 2 Chr 3:1
- Deut 16:6 at even – Jesus was killed at precisely the same time that the priest killed the Passover lamb
Your heart is safe with him
- He is worthy, worth – equal value as in what is it worth? So John said of Jesus Christ he wasn’t worthy to unloose his shoelatchet. Meaning that act of servitude would be too high for John.
- Spirit descending like a dove – harmless, not descending like fire or a bolt of lightning
- recorded in all four gospels – so the presentation is made to all Israel by all four writers
- baptize with the Holy Ghost, Acts 1:5, Romans 6:3, 1 Corinthians 12:13, Galatians 3:27.
- Your heart is safe with him – He’s the only one who will not hurt you and the only one you can trust and the only one you are told to trust
- The title Lamb is used 9 times in the book of Revelation, all in a glorified context. Revelation 5:6 says of Jesus Christ in heaven He’s the Lamb as it had been slain. As though the wounds Jesus Christ took for you and I would be visible throughout eternity.
Get Your Sin on Jesus
Which taketh away the sin of the world – but we Christians like their sin and Jesus Christ is trying to take it away.
Shame of Sin
- One of the things that comes with sin is shame.
- Adam and Eve felt the shame of sin – They hid themselves
- Proverbs 27:26 The lambs are for thy clothing. In God’s creation He showed you and I a spiritual principle. Jesus Christ wants you and I to leave the sin behind and let Him cover it.
- It is this aspect of sin, its shame, that drives people to do most of what they do on a daily basis. It is this aspect of sin that leads most people to be religious in some way.
Regret of Sin
- Sin brings regret
- Regret of missed opportunity
- Regret the consequences, brokenness, separation, bondage. Addiction, a decision, became another decision, became a habit, became a part of your character.
- Philippians 3:13-14 Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.
Wages of Sin
- Sin brings death. The wages of sin is death. That is all sin brings. Though it may be presented as fun, pleasure, relief, satisfaction, it is in reality death packaged up.
- Bodily death because these bodies are vile, sin pulsing through our veins. So God says the only thing you and I can do with these bodies is yield them as instruments to God.
- Soul death is the second death. Revelation 21:8 But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.
Colossians 1:21-22 And you, that were sometime alienated and enemies in your mind by wicked works, yet now hath he reconciled In the body of his flesh through death, to present you holy and unblameable and unreproveable in his sight: