Text: John 1:35-42
- vs 37 heard him speak and followed
- You are following someone.
- Hard to follow if you’re not hearing Him speak.
- My sheep hear my voice
- Now, after you’re saved, is following Jesus Christ optional?
- Obedience regardless of your feelings about it
- You don’t believe that it will work
- You don’t trust God. Did you trust God the first time that you learned that you should tithe?
- You have fear – that lack of trust and fear will cause you to not believe the Principles of God in tithing, mission giving, and sacrificial giving.
- Obedience regardless of experience
- Your presumption of the results
- Your past history of no correction
- Ecclesiastes 8:11 Because sentence against an evil work is not executed speedily, therefore the heart of the sons of men is fully set in them to do evil.
- Ephesians 4:32 Forgiveness – You should forgive simply because God said so.
- Obedience regardless of ability
- Too Tired to attend – Attend Church – Hebrews10:25 Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together
- No service because of age
- No witness because of Bible Education
- Obedience regardless of convenience
- Interferes with your plan – Secret or Pet Sin
- You know an easier way – Ephesians 6:1 Children obey your parents
- Fear of man bringeth a snare
- vs 38 What seek ye?
- Question of motivation. What’s causing you to move?
- What you’re looking for will determine how long you’ll stay.
- As long as there are nachos, movies, and a band we’ll keep coming to church.
- Shallow following like the seed that fell on the stony ground.
- What you’re looking for will also determine how you grow. Like the root of a tree seeking out water.
- What you’re looking for will also determine if you grow or not. Can you imagine the roots of a tree not looking for water or nourishment and instead looking for a slab of concrete?
- Problems are usually the thing that get us to the Lord initially. Is it a marriage problem? Good news is that you’re in the right place, bad news if you had been following Jesus Christ this situation probably wouldn’t have happened. We can’t regret though, but only reflect and learn.
- Jesus Christ is interested in your motive
- How we define successful Christianity, how we define growth. The opposite of the mega church movement. This is Jesus Christ weeding people out. Not with joy, but because they had not considered the price of following the Lord.
- Preachers step out in front of Jesus as they push Jesus into the background and says, Now this is what he means. His mouth just got ahead of him, let me do a little damage control with an explanation of what he’s saying.
- We want to soften the blow, but you realize Jesus doesn’t explain himself.
- LISTEN CAREFULLY! – You and I underestimate what God is willing to destroy in order to gain a soul and conform that soul into the image of Jesus Christ. And conforming you and I to the image of the Lord Jesus Christ means our MOTIVES have to change.
- Our problem is not that we don’t understand the definition of hate, our problem is we’ve underestimated what God is willing to destroy in order to gain a soul for Jesus Christ.
- We have put values on things that God didn’t put value on. We have inflated the price and shown it to God expecting His scale to be the false balance ours is.
- vs 38 What seek ye?
- This is a necessary question because there will be a cost involved.
- Following Jesus Christ has a price because of the enemies of the gospel.
- The followers had not considered the cost. Some followed because they wanted to. Some followed him for the food. Some followed him to improve their lives. The problem was that none had considered the COST.
- Following Jesus Christ has a price because that’s how the heart is tried
- Creating loss and pretending its discipleship. Decision to follow precedes the loss, meaning creating loss does not constitute discipleship. We do that because we haven’t followed Him in the things He’s shown us to follow Him in.
- Whosoever he be of you that forsaketh not all that he hath, he cannot be my disciple. Forsaking means there is no longer an emotional connection to you and that thing. The reason is that at some point in the future as you follow the Lord it will be found out and used against you. Hostage situations and using loved ones to negotiate a deal is just like the devil. God will allow the devil to take that thing you have a connection to steer you in a direction away from the Lord.
- Paul comments on the cost – Romans 8:18 For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us.
- vs 39 Come and see
- We have made following the Lord more complicated than it is.
- The nature of light is that it reveals information.
- The Bible has the answer for instance, and we think but I don’t know the whole Bible. That’s such a daunting task. I can’t remember all that and process all that information with everything that comes up in my life. You don’t have to memorize the whole thing. But if you’re in it you’ll get what you need for that day.
- Following God is not a guessing game.
- Psalm 5:8 Lead me, O LORD, in thy righteousness because of mine enemies; make thy way straight before my face.
- When things are unclear
- We lean on our own understanding – Proverbs 3:5-6 Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.
vs 39 … and abode with him..
- II’ve never regretted following the Lord Jesus Christ.
- John 15:4 Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me.
- He leadeth me beside still waters
- vs 41-42 And he brought him to Jesus
- What is the potential scope of your followship? How far does it reach?
- Counsel – turn around and get others to Jesus
- Dad get your family to Jesus Christ – not just take them to church
- What makes you worth following, what is good leadership, well, where are you going? who are YOU following?
- unsaved, Get them to Jesus – Follow Jesus to heaven – having never been there folks seem so expert in knowing the way there. “Well, I’m just going to get there on my goodness.” If I were to say, OK, go ahead and go out those doors and go on to heaven so we can all watch you and know the way. You understand even if you knew physically how to get there you don’t have the power to do it anyway.
In Your Own Life
- vs 42 thou are Simon: thou shalt be called Cephas
- Jesus calls Peter a stone in reference to his place in the building of God, the household of God –
- Ephesians 2:19-22 Now therefore ye are no more strangers and foreigners, but fellowcitizens with the saints, and of the household of God; And are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief cornerstone; In whom all the building fitly framed together groweth unto an holy temple in the Lord: In whom ye also are builded together for an habitation of God through the Spirit.
- Then Peter says the same thing of his own converts – 1 Peter 2:5 Ye also, as lively stones, are built up a spiritual house, an holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices, acceptable to God by Jesus Christ.
- I don’t like the word potential, but you won’t ever be what your suppose to be apart from FOLLOWING the Lord Jesus Christ. Not just knowing Jesus Christ, but following Him.