Text: John 1:43-51
John 20:31 But these are written that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name. When we reach the end of John 1, the Lord Jesus Christ has been given 12 titles. Taken as a whole they point to the Lord as the one man in which two kingdoms collided the great Mediator.
Six times identified by God in heaven as:
- Only Begotten Son of God
- Lamb of God
And six times identified by man on earth as:
- Rabbi (Master)
- Jesus of Nazareth
- Christ (Messias)
- Son of God
- King of Israel
- Son of Man
When these titles are taken as a whole they point to the Lord Jesus Christ as the one man in whom two kingdoms collide. Where this present evil world meets the one true holy and gracious God.
Paul said 1 Timothy 2:5-7 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus; Who gave himself a ransom for all, to be testified in due time. Whereunto I am ordained a preacher, and an apostle, (I speak the truth in Christ, and lie not;) a teacher of the Gentiles in faith and verity. Paul said it is this role of Jesus Christ as the Mediator between two conflicting parties that I have been ordained to preach.
Job had a legitimate complaint. He said there was no way for him to plead his case before God. There was no mediator he could go to that had mutual interests. Job 9:32-33 For he is not a man, as I am, that I should answer him, and we should come together in judgment. Neither is there any daysman betwixt us, that might lay his hand upon us both.
- Not a bridge, but an intervention –
- Have you ever heard of an “intervention” where someone is put in a position where they must come face to face with their own destructive decisions.
- dead in trespasses and sin
- The purpose is restoration, redemption, reconciliation of all parties
- We have the idea that we’re trying to be better and do better and that all we need is a bridge to get to God and we’ll gladly take it. But the reality of our sin is so much more grotesque than that. So much more filthy.
- Our desires are not for God. Our ambitions are not God’s. Our feelings don’t match God’s feelings.
- While we were yet sinners, Christ died for us
- None that doeth good, no not one
- none that seeketh after God
- the carnal mind is enmity against God
- These bodies are vile and insatiable. And the truth is that if Jesus Christ never intervenes as the Mediator we just continue wandering aimless in the dark, fulfilling the lust of the flesh until we die and pay for our sins that we said were a light thing in this life. Intervention of Life where the world, the devil and sin had left death and destruction
- Enter into grief. Because it is enmity and conflict that create the need for a mediator. If both parties are agreeable and happy then there is no need for mediation. Enmity and conflict create the need for a mediator, so a mediator must be acquainted with grief.
- People brought their sorrow, their diseases, their misery, their grief.
- Intervention of Love what the world and the devil and sin had thrown away and left for dead
- we love him BECAUSE he first loved us
- Notice in our text Jesus Christ’s Intervening Help
- Medical field, first responders, firemen, these are folks who stand as mediators between life and death
- vs 43 Jesus would GO FORTH… and FINDETH…. and saith, FOLLOW ME
- A mediator must be willing and must also have the means to facilitate a reconciliation
- Go, Find, now follow me
- Jesus Christ said I came to seek and to save that which was lost.
- Mediator must be the friend of both parties
- Mutual understanding of the desires of both parties
- Romans 8:27 And he that searcheth the hearts knoweth what is the mind of the Spirit, because he maketh intercession for the saints according to the will of God.
- Present work of Jesus Christ for you, if you are saved, is that he is interceding on your behalf with the Father
- You have and Adversary who lives to accuse you, but in Jesus Christ you have an Advocate who seeks out pardon and reconciliation
- Romans 8:34 Who is he that condemneth? It is Christ that died, yea rather, that is risen again, who is even at the right hand of God, who also maketh intercession for us.
- Notice in our text Jesus Christ’s personal understanding
- vs 47-48 …Behold an Israelite indeed, in whom is not guile!…Whence knowest thou me?
- Personal, approachable, compassionate, all these are things that endear the Lord Jesus Christ to our hearts. A mediator is no good if one party cannot approach him.
- James 3:17 But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be intreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy.
- Hebrews 7:25-27 Wherefore he is able also to save them to the uttermost that come unto God by him, seeing he ever liveth to make intercession for them. For such an high priest became us, who is holy, harmless, undefiled, separate from sinners, and made higher than the heavens; Who needeth not daily, as those high priests, to offer up sacrifice, first for his own sins, and then for the people’s: for this he did once, when he offered up himself.
- Isaiah 53 is one of the chapters in the Bible that religious Israel has taken out of their Old Testament. In that chapter one of the things we read of the Lord Jesus Christ is, Isaiah 53:12 Therefore will I divide him a portion with the great, and he shall divide the spoil with the strong; because he hath poured out his soul unto death: and he was numbered with the transgressors; and he bare the sin of many, and made intercession for the transgressors.
- He knows you. Psalm 103:14 For he knoweth our frame; he remembereth that we are dust.
- He KNOWS you – The amazing thing is that He knows you, but that doesn’t stop Him from wanting to use you. That doesn’t stop Him from wanting to save you. That doesn’t stop Him from loving you. And He KNOWS you.
- regarding Jesus Christ’s future work as Mediator when, thy kingdom come, thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven
- There is a past work that culminated on Calvary and resurrection from the dead
- There is his present work as Intercessor
- Then there will be a future work as King
- Notice in our text his Sovereignty
- vs 49-51 …thou art the King of Israel…thou shalt see greater things than these… heaven open
- There was a partial fulfillment of verse 51 in Acts 1:9-11, Nathanael also known as Bartholomew
- he will literally bring in the Kingdom as it collides with this earth, Revelation 19:11-16
- Revelation 1:5-6… he makes kings