Pharisees are trying to pit John the Baptist against the Lord Jesus Christ. John responds right. John says, Look Jesus Christ is the important one. He should increase and I should decrease; He should have more followers than me, He should be magnified above me. You aren’t going to tempt me to get jealous of the groom.
George Whitefield preached a sermon about Jesus Christ relationship to His people as a marriage. His outline was as follows. Marriage is:
- a mutual choice – I do, I do. He chooses fellowship with you by His own goodness. He is the initiator and we respond. We love Him because he first loved us. When He first find any of us we are filthy, wicked, unclean, defiled, deformed, spiritually depraved. But God commendeth His love toward us in thatwhile we were yet sinners Christ died for us.
- a mutual affection
- a mutual union – His spirit, your faith
- a mutual obligation
Provision by the Groom vs 27
- Right attitude of what we have:
- God owns it all is the right attitude to have. (Give kids money to give. No emotional bond to the money.)
- God sends the rain on the just and the unjust. God is no respecter of persons. You are not the reason God has blessed you.
- Money is not a spiritual thermometer. It doesn’t tell you anything about your relationship with God.
- Morally strong people are people with very few wants. There is a mindset that says Give me, Give me.
- Philippians 4:11-13 contentment is learned
- Revelation 3:14 – It is the same sin to worry when there is little as it is to kick back and relax when there is much. That indicates trust. Proverbs says trust not!
- What Jesus Christ provides spiritually
- Hosea 2:19-23 And I will betroth thee unto me for ever;
- yea, I will betroth thee unto me in righteousness,
- Jesus Christ gives you His righteousness
- as a plumbline – top down, not bottom up
- and in judgment,
- Why wicked people live long and righteous die young many times. God is good. What confuses sinners like you and I is the goodness of God. The goodness of the bridegroom, of Jesus Christ
- and in lovingkindness,
- and in mercies.
- I will even betroth thee unto me in faithfulness: and thou shalt know the LORD. Then you will know who I am
Preparation for the Groom vs 28
- Prepare ye the way of the Lord – Repent,
- Jesus Christ was not a surprise – Prophecies about his 1st coming
- Groom is for a prepared people –
- prepare to meet thy God
- Jeremiah 3:14-15 Turn, O backsliding children, saith the Lord; for I am married unto you:… And I will give you pastors according to mine heart, which shall feed you with knowledge and understanding.
- I go to prepare a place for you – Groom’s preparation is provisional
Pleasure in the Groom’s Voice vs 29
- His voice is a joy when you’re in fellowship with him
- You and I don’t always take joy in hearing Him speak though
- Your spiritual maturity has to do what your attitude toward the words of God
- 1 Corinthians 3:1-2 I fed you with milk – Paul said I had to feed you as a baby because of your carnality
- 1 Peter 2:2-3 As newborn babes, desire the sincere milk of the word, that ye may grow thereby: If so be ye have tasted that the Lord is gracious.
- Hebrews 5:12-14 milk to meat by exercise and use of the word of God in your life
- So many things come between us and the voice of the Lord Jesus Christ. And you need to pay attention to those things that draw you away of your own lust b/c its those things that keep you from hearing His voice.
- It isn’t the disruptions to life that keep you from the words of God. It isn’t the emergencies, it is the thing that has grabbed your lust and your desire and steals away your time with the Lord.
- Man I’m so busy. Busy with what? Busy with something your lust drug you away to do. Busy building, working, relaxing, whatever the case is. Then when it comes to service to the Lord we HUFF, and complain about how hard it is. His yoke is easy, His burden is light. The problem is you’ve yoked yourself with another yoke that isn’t His. He didn’t give it to you, you went after it and now it demands your time and energy.
Preeminence of the Groom vs 30-31
- the bigger He is the smaller I am, the bigger I am the smaller He is
- Jesus Christ has to be magnified, John said I have to be humbled
- Humility Definition – James 4:6 – submission to the will of God
- Humility is the end of the education of your will – When a man or women humbles himself before God; Not my will, but thine be done.
- Irony: Leviticus 26:40-42 the irony is that when you will accept the punishment, receive the chastisement for your sin, there is no more need for chastisement.
- Humility is the Beginning of divine protection
- 1 Kings 21:25-29 – God gives details of his wickedness to contrast the great value the Lord places on humility.
- Get low and stay low. The fall isn’t as bad and you will survive it.
- Humility is the beginning of spiritual growth
- Humility is your response to the words of God. Will you say, Yes Lord, you’re right or will you say I think I can do better.
- Self esteem
- Jesus Christ is Above all – religion hates that statement
Perspective of the Groom vss 32-33
- Perspective is how you see things. Sometimes a change in perspective changes your belief about something.
- Mostly, your perspective has to do with your heart. The pure in heart shall see God. But a thief sees the world through a thief’s eyes.
- Heavenly things – Did you ever consider that Jesus Christ speaks of heavenly things. If you don’t like what He’s saying, maybe you wouldn’t like Heaven.
- If you’re saved, then you understand there is a battle between your flesh and your spirit. The things you hate to hear from Jesus Christ are hated by your flesh, and you look forward to the day when you drop this robe of filthy flesh and all the wicked, filthy desires and lusts and appetites are dropped with it.
Power of the Groom vss 34-35
- Spirit of God given in full to Jesus Christ. Not by might, but by my spirit.
Punishment for Unbelievers
- If you reject everything Jesus Christ is, righteousness, peace, lovingkindness, righteousness, faithfulness, etc, then you have none of these things
- To reject the bridegroom you choose guilty over forgiveness
- To reject the bridegroom you choose wounds over healing
- To reject the bridegroom you choose rags over robes
- To reject the bridegroom you choose filth over cleansing
- To reject the bridegroom you choose bondage over liberty
- To reject the bridegroom you choose trouble over peace
- To reject the bridegroom you choose death over life
- If you believe, if you will hear the Lord Jesus Christ, you will receive everything He has