The results of a soul being justified by faith in the Lord Jesus Christ are many. Paul outlines some of the most foundational things in Romans 5 here.
Peace with God
- The first time the word peace shows up in your Bible it has to do with death. Genesis 15:15
- People these days pay millions of dollars in order to get peace. A good night’s rest. An end to the chaos in the imagination. There is an entire industry of medicine, biochemistry, and pharmaceuticals dedicated to numbing the heart and mind because of the lack of peace.
- Peace is unity – Ephesians 2:14-17, 4:3
- Peace is agreement with God and gratitude toward God
- Leviticus 7:11-12, for a thanksgiving (Philippians 4:6-7)
- Doctrinal at peace with God, but we aren’t always at peace with God spiritually. The difference is in Colossians 3:15.
Access into Grace
- Grace is a part of every aspect of the Christian life.
- Grace has to do with how God looks at you.
- grace in the eyes of the Lord, in his sight, in his eyes, in the sight of the Lord, in his sight, etc…
- What makes you want to have grace toward someone? When they humbly approach you.
- Abraham access into grace
- We come to pray for folks on Wednesday night because we have access into this grace.
- Hebrews 4:14-16 – throne of grace
- When you and I have a need it means grace becomes necessary.
- Sometimes we need to remember we stand in this grace. Amazing Grace
- 1 Corinthians 15:10 But by the grace of God I am what I am: and his grace which was bestowed upon me was not in vain; but I laboured more abundantly than they all: yet not I, but the grace of God which was with me.
- If you’ve been saved a while think about how much you’ve learned over the years. How much you are learning now. Now realize that God already knew all of the things you know now from day one and He has patiently watched you, and directed you, and been gracious with you to get you to this point.
Rejoice in Hope
- Hope is a powerful word.
- Hope deferred maketh the heart sick says the Proverb.
- The lack of hope can crush a soul. Suicide is lost hope.
- The presence of hope can sustain a soul even if there is no real salvation in sight. Story of “Unbroken” Louie Zamperini
- 5:3-5 Think about something. Every valley you’ve had as a Christian has made you a better Christian – If you’ll let it. Being justified means God is redeeming the valleys in your life to your benefit.
- Growth occurs in the valley. I use to drive through Colorado to a rig up on top of a mountain in the Rockies. The higher you get the more sparse it got. But driving down that mountain getting into the valley on County Road 5 you could see lush grass, cattle grazing, flowers blooming. All in the valley.
- Don’t hate the valleys, harvest them. I’m not saying ask for them. I don’t. But when they come, have the expectation that this is here for my benefit.
Saved from wrath
- Removed from danger to a place of safety
- Saved is a term we generally apply to a soul being saved from Hell. Salvation means deliverance from destruction.
- 2 Chronicles 20:17 – see the salvation of God – Moab and Ammon come against Jerusalem and Jehoshaphat. Has to do with defeat of enemies.
- David said save me from mine enemies.
- All Israel shall be saved – Delivered from destruction
- Noah is a great picture of that. Here is a man that found grace in the sight of God in the midst of a completely reprobate society. And God says I will save you from my wrath, but you’ve got to do what I say.
- For a Christian here and now that has a double meaning. You and I are saved from future wrath of God. 1 Thessalonians 1:10
Reconciled to God
- Eliminate enmity, bring about friendship
- Colossians 1:20
- In 8 words the entire Bible and scope of God’s redemptive work is summed up, by him to reconcile all things unto himself.
- Body – The Bible says that one day, those that are saved will have their corruptible bodies changed into incorruptible bodies and fashioned like unto his glorious body (Philippians 3:21). So the body one day must be reconciled to Jesus Christ.
- Mind – How about your mind? There are lots of things about our minds that God hasn’t been given control of. Things like depression can be a result of an area of the mind that we haven’t reconciled to God and have kept for ourselves.
- Let this mind be in your which was also in Christ Jesus (Philippians 2:5) and goes on to name 7 things that were in the mind of Jesus Christ and should be in our minds. So the mind of a sinner needs to be reconciled to God.
- Heart – How about affections? We all love things that come between the Lord and us. God wants our affections reconciled to Jesus Christ. Colossians 3:1-2.
- Ministry – 2 Corinthians 5:18-19. Another application here is our service for God. The simple fact of the matter is if you can point someone in the direction of the Lord Jesus Christ and help them identify the obstacles that stand between them and him, you have done the work God has called you to do.
- Atonement is the transfer of guilt
- Leviticus 4:20, 26, 31, 35
- Notice the forgiveness
- This is the only time in the New Testament this word occurs.
- Unlimited atonement: died for all