Text: Daniel 2:44
Daniel had the scriptures to interpret this dream. The stone had been spoken of many times before in the scriptures: by Moses, David, and Isaiah. And what each of these men said and sung about this stone was a significant aspect of this stone as described in Nebuchadnezzar’s dream.
Daniel 2:44…the kingdom shall not be left to other people…
- Moses Song – Deuteronomy 32 recorded 1900 years before Daniel
- SPIRITUAL DNA – defining characteristics of the Rock and the people of the Rock
- vs 4 – perfect work, ways are judgment, truth, just and right
- vs 6 bought thee…made thee…established thee
- vs 15 – lightly esteemed the Rock of his salvation, Israel became rebels
- vs 16-18 – forgotten God that formed thee. They counterfeit the Rock with their own rock.
- They sacrificed to devils. Did you notice all of the little gods carved out of rock?
- People take rock to make idols and become superstitious. Associate supernatural power with these little trinkets.
- Jeremiah 2:27 Saying to a stock, Thou art my father; and to a stone, Thou hast brought me forth: for they have turned their back unto me, and not their face: but in the time of their trouble they will say, Arise, and save us.
- Psalm 115:4-8 Their idols are silver and gold, the work of men’s hands. They have mouths, but they speak not: eyes have they, but they see not: They have ears, but they hear not: noses have they, but they smell not: They have hands, but they handle not: feet have they, but they walk not: neither speak they through their throat. They that make them are like unto them; so is every one that trusteth in them.
- vs 28-31 – Jews flee for their lives because they’ve gone after another rock.
- their rock is not as our Rock
- Dome of the Rock, where Mohamed supposedly ascended.
- Ka’ba in Mecca housing the Black Stone. Islamic worship of the stone, and Islamic tradition say the stone came out of heaven in Adam and Eve’s day.
- Roman Catholicism says Peter is the rock.
- vss 37- 43 – Second Coming and bringing in the Kingdom of Christ
Daniel 2:44…but it shall break in pieces and consume all these kingdoms…
- Isaiah’s prophecy recorded 150 years before Daniel is born
- PHYSICAL DESTRUCTION of God’s enemies within His own nation
- Isaiah 8:5-18
- Psalm 2:9-10 Thou shalt break them with a rod of iron; thou shalt dash them in pieces like a potter’s vessel. Be wise now therefore, O ye kings; be instructed, ye judges of the earth…
- Psalm 118:18-22 quoted by Jesus in Matthew 21:42-46; Pharisees understood he was speaking of them.
Daniel 2:44…and it shall stand forever…
- David’s last words 2 Samuel 23:1-7; God’s everlasting covenant with David
- Psalm 18, 31, 62, 78
- Isaiah 28:14-17
- 1 Peter 2:4-10
- Matthew 16:13-18
- Ephesians 2:20-22