Text: Proverbs 2:12-22
Proverbs is not just Solomon speaking to his son or practical advice for everyday living. Proverbs is God’s Fatherly education of Israel. So there is much prophetic material in Proverbs that will be very much needed as believing Jews enter into a time of trouble. The time of God’s judgement and the 70th week Daniel spoke of.
Let’s look at wisdom’s deliverance in both it’s practical application and its prophetic application.
Deliverance from the Evil Man (vss 12-15)
- Psalm 140:1-3 Deliver me, O LORD, from the evil man: preserve me from the violent man; Which imagine mischiefs in their heart; continually are they gathered together for war. They have sharpened their tongues like a serpent; adders’ poison is under their lips. Selah.
- Psalm 10
- Way of the evil man – spiritual characteristics, not physical. Although evil men are characterized in movies, cartoons, and television with physical attributes many times. This “way” shows you and I the spirit you are dealing with in the evil man and any evil man for that matter. There are three primary factors that reveal the spirit of the man.
- Speaketh froward things – speaks crookedly.
- Froward: Perverse, that is, turning from, with aversion or reluctance; not willing to yield or comply with what is required; unyielding; ungovernable; refractory; disobedient; peevish; as a froward child.
- Conversation is the dirty jokes, the lewd cussing.
- In education it shows up as the man that eloquently justifies sin.
- Proverbs 16:28 Sows strife with his mouth
- Leave the paths of uprightness – so he was on the path before.
- Forsakes morals, restraints, self control, self denial
- Hebrews 3:12 – unbelief is a moral decision
- what causes an evil man to leave the upright path? He’s led away of his lust.
- walk in the ways of darkness
- Prefers to stay out of the light. Men loved darkness because their deeds were evil
- The thing he doesn’t want is exposure.
- know not at what they stumble
- calls evil good, results in self justification
- Rejoice to do evil
- Delights in those who do the same – Romans 1:32
Deliverance from the Strange Woman (vss 16-19)
- the strange woman is going to be Israel’s leadership who have sold themselves into the hands of the evil man.
- Notice verse 17 she forsaketh the guide of her youth and forgetteth the covenant of her God.
- Ezekiel 23:45-49
- Revelation 17:5 was the mother who taught Jerusalem to commit spiritual adultery
- flattereth with her words –
- Forsakes those who had her best interest at heart
- Forgets – ignores
- Inclineth to death – that’s where her house is facing.
- None that go return – loss of innocence
Wisdom’s way of Deliverance
- Wisdom entereth in
- Knowledge is pleasant
- Discretion shall preserve thee
- Understanding shall keep thee
- It’s the path of good men – the company you keep. Who will you meet along the way?
- Psalm 119:101
- righteousness as a guide
- Promise of the land. Israel is always promised the land, so this is a literal prophecy