Text: Proverbs 3:13-20
You and I need to put a price on wisdom.
Wisdom’s Value as Merchandise
- Ability to bargain, to transact, to trade; a commodity. Object of commerce. Better than gold or silver.
- When it comes to human action in the market, wisdom is better than gold or silver.
- Wisdom is better than gold and silver because it can’t be corrupted
- Corruption of monetary system occurs when people are less willing to accept the currency.
- The nature of wealth is just like anything else, it will diminish over time.
- Proverbs 23:5 – riches CERTAINLY make themselves wings; they fly away as an eagle toward heaven.
- The only certainty about riches is that they will be gone. Matthew 6:19 Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal.
- Wisdom is better than gold and silver because it is certain unlike gold and silver which are uncertain
- What will be the price of gold? silver? How much will I be able to buy with it in the future? I don’t know. And if it ever got as bad as some fret about it getting, you can’t eat gold or silver. It will come down to food and water.
- With wisdom there is no Futures Index, the future is sure. Wisdom works.
- Gold and silver can be stolen by thieves. You can’t steal wisdom from a wise man. You may throw him in jail, but a wise man will remain wise in jail like Joseph.
Wisdom’s Value as Precious
- All those things you and I sit around dreaming about having. Conjuring up more ways to make money in order to satisfy our lust and greed. God says look, take all those desires you have for stuff and things and if you desired wisdom as much as you do those other things, you will have found something more precious.
- Why? Well, that boat you couldn’t live without isn’t precious anymore. Now there is a new boat and the one you had to have has a FOR SALE sign on it. You know you won’t ever put a FOR SALE sign on some wisdom you’ve gained. You won’t ever say, I just don’t need that anymore because something better has come along.
- Those shoes you had to have that you can’t find now because they are buried under 35 other pairs of shoes you had to have. Those shoes were so precious to you for about a month, then you bought them and lost track of them.
Wisdom’s Value as Time
- They say time is the one thing you can’t get back. Not true if you get wisdom.
- Length of days, redeem the time is the New Testament version of it for the Christian; no regrets. You understand a person without regrets doesn’t need anymore time.
- See a dad and a son that had a falling out exercise some wisdom, seek forgiveness and after years of bitterness, reconcile. Then start making new memories together. Those new memories are sweeter after the reconciliation than had they never fought. You know what wisdom did. It bought some time.
- But length of days can be a real curse in some instances. Read Unbreakable where POWs just wanting to die. But length of days can be a real curse if you don’t have what’s in wisdom’s left hand, which is quality of life.
Wisdom’s Value as Riches & Honor
- I love how Solomon puts this. Right hand is this and left hand is that. You know time, and riches and honor all go together; they go hand in hand.
- If you have more time then you want that time to be enjoyable don’t you? Sometimes time can be a bitter enemy. Waiting and waiting. Trial and trial.
- But wisdom gets you more time and the ability to enjoy that time – riches and honor.
- And the other side of that is true as well. What good are riches and honor if you’re dead and can’t enjoy them. So in the right hand is time, in the left hand is riches and honor.
Wisdom’s Value as Peace
- so there is a way to do this, a way to do that, a way to handle this, a way handle that, but the common thread between them all if they are wise is that they are peace. You can probably think of some situations in your life or situations you’ve seen happen that could’ve ended a different way. But wisdom was not exercised and the conflict and contempt was a direct result of wisdom NOT being used.
- James 3:17-18 wisdom from above is first peaceful
- Right hope brings peace. When you’re trust is put in the right place, the result of that is peace.
- Wisdom to know your calling in Christ and what that means is peace. How? If I know what God has given me to do, then I know the preparation, what to pack along the way and what not to pack, what attitude to have about the obstacles, etc.
Wisdom’s Value as Life
Wisdom’s Value as Foundational
- built in wisdom
- works down low and it works up high
- earth and heavens
- depths and clouds