Text: Daniel 6:10
Confidence to be Thankful
- Prospect of Trouble
- when Daniel knew that the writing was signed…
- The trouble makes us think what in the world do I have to be thankful for?
- In everything give thanks
- We immediately think toward the exceptions. You mean I should thank God when… You just need to lump it through the bad stuff and thank God. Our perspective is warped.
- Psalm 68:19 daily loadeth us with benefits
- Sarah illustration
- Count your blessings before you get bitter. For every one reason you think you have to be bitter, you have 10 blessings that you’re not counting.
- #1 – Suffering was limited. Here is a soul that never experienced suffering.
- #2 – We knew where Sarah went. To be with the Lord. David lost a child once and said, I will go to him, but he will not come to me.
- #3 – We knew that we will see Sarah one day, forever.
- #4 – We knew that she was in better hands.
- When I thought about it, the only real problem I had was the pain of separation. But everything else was taken care of the by the Lord.
- REASONABLE to be grateful
- Before you get bitter, count your blessings.
- I realized and you will soon realize too that gratitude toward God is a REASONABLE thing.
- Trouble doesn’t change that. For every trouble there are ten blessings you and I haven’t thanked God for.
- Paul said I reckon the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us.
Courage to be Thankful
- Fear of People
- his windows being open in his chamber toward Jerusalem…
- obeying 1 Kings 8 where Solomon
- John 12:42 – being afraid to be publicly thankful
- Daniel’s case would be the equivalent of a Christian publicly giving thanks to the Lord Jesus Christ.
- It’s easy to confess a church. It’s easy to confess a denomination. It’s easier to tell someone, I go to Bible Baptist Church than it is to say the Lord Jesus Christ changed my life, let me tell you about him.
- We don’t have a problem telling folks we have a good job and life is good. But it’s tough to tell them by the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ we are what we are. Just something about that name.
- Pattern of Thankfulness
- he kneeled upon his knees three times a day, and prayed, and gave thanks before his God, as he did aforetime.
- Daniel, as busy as he was running a nation, he didn’t find time, he made time to be grateful three times a day.
- David did the same thing as a king, Psalm 55:17.
- Gratitude is not natural
- Habits of Gratitude
- Be appreciative to people. Starting with the Lord. Don’t start with the stress of the day, or the “list”. Take time to think about the Lord Jesus Christ.
- James 1:17 Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning.
- Anything that has any value in your life came from God. Either He gave it to you or gave you the ability to get it and the ability to enjoy it.
- Romans 16:3-16 – Take time to be grateful to the people the Lord’s put in your life. Paul’s list of people he is grateful for.
- Gratitude is healthy – volunteering, giving. I think as a parent it’s good for my kids to be involved in volunteering and doing something where there is no benefit to them, and the benefit is solely for someone else. That’s not just good for kids though, that’s good for adults. It’s healthy to live in a world where everything doesn’t revolve around you.