Text: Daniel 9:1-23
- the reality of our prayers is that many of them aren’t answered because they are contrary to what God said he is doing – they are ignorant prayers
- Pharisee says, “I thank thee that I am not like this publican.” Goes away completely ignored by God.
- Study of the scriptures like Daniel to know what to pray for and what not to pray for
- Daniel 9:2
- Jeremiah 25:11-21
- Paul prays about going to Rome because he knows that’s where he is suppose to go
- Romans 1:9-10
- Acts 19:21 and 23:11
- What is the will of God
- 1 Thessalonians 4:3, 5:18
- 1 Timothy 2:1-4
- Things Paul prayed for
- Ephesians 1:16-23
- Philippians 1:9-11
- Colossians 1:9-10
- 2 Thessalonians 1:11-12
- 2 Thessalonians 3:1-2
- contrite spirit and contrite in body as well
- sackcloth like burlap
- Humility is James 4:6 – submission to the will of God
- Think of Daniel’s situation. Acknowledging sin without a savior.
- The contract God made with Israel found in Leviticus 26
- Humility is the end of the will
- When a man or women humbles himself before God, there is no more abasing required. Not my will, but thine be done.
- Job (Job 42:6), Moses (Exodus 2-3), Paul (Acts 9:6), Amos (Amos 7:14-15), Isaiah (Isaiah 6:5-8)
- Illustration of one of the kids.
- Irony: Leviticus 26:40-42 the irony is that when you will accept the punishment, receive the chastisement for your sin, there is no more need for chastisement.
- Humility is the beginning of divine protection
- Let’s take a completely wicked man, sold out to iniquity, defiling God’s people and in an act of humility turns the course of a nation around.
- 1 Kings 21:25-29 – God gives details of his wickedness to contrast the great value the Lord places on humility.
- Get low and stay low. The fall isn’t as bad and you will survive it.
- Humility is the beginning of spiritual growth
- Humility is your response to the words of God. Will you say, Yes Lord, you’re right or will you say I think I can do better
- Accept the circumstances God sends your way. 2 Kings 22:19. A lot of times the circumstances are the result of our own sin.
- Accept the judgment of God
- Humility says God alone is righteous – Whereupon the princes of Israel and the king humbled themselves; and they said, The LORD is righteous. 2 Chronicles 12:6
- Lord, for your sake
- vs 17 for the Lord’s sake
- vs 18 for thy great mercies
- vs 19 for thine own sake
- vs 19 thy city, thy people, call by thy name
- Lord, I don’t bring anything to the table here. There is no reason for you to bless me or answer this prayer or even hear me, but Lord for THY SAKE. But Lord, IN JESUS NAME, please
- In Jesus name – seen as an incantation “in Jesus name” but it is not a magic spell that summons God
- It means for his sake. Lord I don’t have a good reason to expect an answer to this, but to say that it affects your name and things that are associated with you.
- In my name…
- John 14:13-14
- Daniel 9:21-23