Text: Daniel 8
Ram and the Goat
- Ram is Media-Persia, specifically Cyrus & Darius
- Goat is Greece, specifically Alexander the Great
- This vision shows the geography of the beasts and again that the Antichrist is not Roman. Rome is considered a part of Greece; Greco-Roman. Hellenistic culture. Rome will be the woman on the beast, but not the antichrist.
- Romans 1:16 – Jew and Greek
- Galatians 3:28 – Jew and Greek
- Colossians 3:11 – Jew and Greek
- Revelation 9:11
- Interesting note about scholars who want to cast doubt on the words of God will use the Greek language.
- Shushan and Ulai are important because the dream puts Daniel in the Media-Persian empire. He has the dream while in Babylon, but the dream is looking forward to the time when he is in the palace of Darius.
- Daniel’s tomb is in what use to be Shushan. It is modern day Iran.
Four Horns and a Little Horn
- Daniel 8:8 – Alexander’s kingdom is divided into four divisions in the promised land. The antichrist comes out of one of these four divisions.
- Daniel 8:9 Not the south, not the east, not the west, but the north. When we get to Daniel 11 we’ll see him clearly as the king of the north.
- The fourth part of the kingdom – Revelation 6:8 And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him. And power was given unto them over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword, and with hunger, and with death, and with the beasts of the earth.
- These horsemen are typically misidentified.
- The white horse is likely the first king of the north in Daniel 11:19, the first king of Assyria when Assyria comes back into play.
- The red horse may be the king of the south – wars and rumors of wars.
- The black horse matches the second king of the north in Daniel 11:20 who is the raiser of taxes – a measure of wheat for a penny.
- Then this Grim Reaper type on the pale horse is your antichrist.
Host of Heaven Cast Down
- Daniel 8:10, not only is he waxing great geographically in the earth, but things are happening in heaven as well
- 2 Kings 17:5-18
- 2 Kings 21:3-5
- Jeremiah 8:2
- Leviticus 19:26 – enchantments or observe times
- Isaiah 47:12-15 Babylonian religion that Israel had adopted
- Amos 5:26, 7:23 – the star of your god
- Islam, Allah is the moon god, notice the crescent
- The specific time concerns the vision concerning the daily sacrifice, and the transgression of desolation – that is the abomination that maketh desolate (Daniel 11:31, 12:11)
- He’s asking about verses 9-12.
- Either the 2300 days includes the 1260 days of great tribulation, but I don’t see that in the question being asked.
- Daniel 11:21-31 show that this antichrist has quite a military career prior to the great tribulation. That is why the world would ask who can make war with the beast in Revelation 13:4. They ask that prior to the great tribulation.
Antichrist thrives for a period of time
- Daniel 8:23-25
- 2 Thessalonians 2:1-8 – so clearly shows that this “church age” of time is not the tribulation
- the one that letteth isn’t someone standing in the way of this antichrist and preventing him from coming on the scene. The one that letteth has to do with what God is doing with a group of people now in forming a new man in Christ.
- Ephesians 2:15, new man, fullness of the Gentiles be come in (Romans 11:25),