(No audio available on this lesson.)
Text: Proverbs 6:1-19
1 Thessalonians 4:11-12 – Set of ethics and how to conduct your affairs so you can do three things:
- maintain your testimony,
- avoid getting snared or yoked with an unnecessary yoke,
- provide for those you are responsible for.
Careful in Relationships
- Friendship snared. Avoid foolish vows
- Co-signer, financially more responsible than the signer.
- A lady calls a lawyer because a bank is suing her for a car she cosigned with her boyfriend for. Lawyer explains that the reason the bank wanted a cosigner for her boyfriend was because he wasn’t reliable. And they know they aren’t getting any money out of him. Now that he stopped paying on the loan and they can’t find the car, they are suing her because as the cosigner, she guaranteed the money.
- If the lender wants a cosigner it is because they don’t trust the signer to pay the bill. Assume all liability without any benefit
- If you don’t have it to give, you don’t have it to loan.
- Boundaries. Good fences make good neighbors.
- Your foolish commitment will allow your friend to go further than they should and are able.
- Friends are not friends if they ask you to cover for them.
- Proverbs 11:15, 17:18, 20:16, 27:13
- Friends look out for you, they don’t put you on the line to look out for them.
Diligent in Work
- Diligence is a characteristic that centers on action. Diligence understands the equation that time and energy (work) equal productivity. Diligence is an aspect of wisdom.
- Enemies of Diligence
- Slacker – Proverbs 10:4
- He refuses to work because he likes to live in the moment. No prudence or aforethought.
- 10:5 tells you the slacker avoids preparation for the future
- Slothful – Proverbs 12:24, 27
- He refuses to work because he does not care about what he has.
- To the diligent, his substance is precious. He counts everything a blessing. He considers himself a steward of what he has so he keeps track of it.
- Budget for instance. Give every dollar a name. Spend it on paper before you spend it for real.
- When it comes to spending you can’t outearn foolishness according to Proverbs 21:20. If making the ends meet is hard to do you want to bring the ends closer together.
- Sluggard – Proverbs 13:4, 11
- He refuses to work because he has never associated labour with increase.
- See the contrasting movement of wealth; Diminished when gotten by vanity as opposed to Increased when gotten by labour.
- Hasty – Proverbs 21:5
- Slacker – Proverbs 10:4
- Consider the ant
- As one pastor put it, A sermon on Six Legs
- Psalm 90:12 So teach us to number our days, that we may apply our hearts unto wisdom.
- Preparation, Perseverance, Purpose
Character full of Integrity
- Proverbs 6:16-19 God actively works against these things
- Character is a Guide
- Proverbs 11:3 – Integrity is a guide that goes before you
- Another name for this is Ethics.
- Decision to do right before its time to do right.
- Decision to have the right attitude before its time to have the right attitude.
- Decision to speak right before its your turn to talk.
- Integrity does not walk the line, but asks, What’s right about this?
- Character is Safety
- Psalm 25:21 – Integrity prevents trouble rather than fixes trouble
- Why is this important? Because the Lord Jesus Christ had enemies and if you choose to follow Him you’ll meet those enemies. The world, the flesh, and the devil will beat you up if you have no integrity
- It is wise to walk with the idea that something is at stake.
- More people are watching than you think and less people are watching than you think. Meaning the ones you think are watching are not watching, but the ones you don’t think are watching, like your children, are watching.
- Character is Strength
- Job 2:9 – Integrity has very few desires or wants
- The happiest people are not the ones that have the most, but want the least.
- Bob Jones Sr. “You can borrow brains but you can’t borrow character.”
- Character is a Standard
- Proverbs 20:7 – Integrity is the most necessary characteristic of good leadership
- Standard: Hebrews 5:12-14
- Integrity’s value is the result of many good decisions.
- Children blessed. Integrity will instill in your children an excellent spirit