Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | Android | Google Podcasts | Stitcher | TuneIn | Spotify | | More
- Ruth is the name of the heroine in the book. She is a Gentile (means not a Jew, 1 Corinthians 10:32), from the nation of Moab. This is the only book in the Old Testament named for a Gentile. Moabites were enemies of the Jews.
- Numbers 22:2-4 – King Balak of Moab does not believe the Jews are God’s people and hired Balaam to curse Israel. Balaam couldn’t curse Israel so he taught Balak to cast a stumblingblock before Israel in the matter of Moabite women.
- Nehemiah 13:2 – Nehemiah builds the temple and Sanballat, the Moabite, is an adversary.
- Judges 3:12-30 Eglon is a type of the antichrist. Killed with a two-edged sword (Judges 3:16,21)
- Of all things that God could have recorded at this time in the world
- King Tut. The world has made much of the boy king.
- Chinese Shang dynasty first appears.
- The Bronze age occurs during this time. It amazes me the things that go unnoticed by the world, but noticed by God.
- Ruth ends up as the great grandmother of David.
- I can imagine Grandpa Obed sitting down with David and telling the story.
- Ancestry has become a big business. People like to know where they came from.
- The lineage of Jesus Christ Matthew 1:5—Boaz and Ruth (Gentile)
- To take something insignificant and make it a vessel of great significance
- widow of Nain
- widow with two mites
- Mary Magdalene
- Rahab the harlot
INDICTMENT of the Jews
- Before we look back at this book in hindsight and say, See there is a Gentile bride there. Remember, this book was recorded for Israel to read. We can read some of the things that God has done back into it, but the book had a purpose when Israel read it even before anyone knew about Gentiles being in Jesus Christ.
- Israel was lawless. Every man did that which was right in his own eyes.
- We learn about Gentile salvation in the Old Testament (Leviticus 19:33-34, Ruth 1:16-18, John 4:22).
- Though Ruth is the virtuous woman of Proverbs 31, she must follow Naomi for salvation and worship the God of the Jews. This will again be the literal, visible reality when the Lord returns.
- But in that you learn that providence, the hand of God, works in connection with character decisions. That means that God responds to certain things and moves in the direction of character and righteousness and holiness. So decisions made on that basis will attract God.
- Redemption. All the great Hollywood themes of human drama that people love to watch, not necessarily live through, but watch have their origins in the words of God. Ruth is the poor stranger who suffered tragedy because of her deceased husband’s sin, but lives a life of virtue and is rescued by the wealthy loving Boaz who risks his reputation and name to save her.
- Ruth begins with a funeral and ends with a wedding, much the same way the entire Bible lays out.
- The lawful redemption as Jesus Christ did it (Nehemiah 13:1 & Ruth 4:9-10) and the character of the redeemer will be found in Boaz as he pictures the Lord Jesus Christ. It’s never right to do wrong in order to get a chance to do right. Matthew 5:17 says the Lord isn’t going to break His law in order to get you saved.
- The duties of the Redeemer (Ruth 3:11 all that thou requirest) are all laid out in Ruth. They are:
- Buy back land in Lev. 25:25-28 and Ruth 4:9 and Rev. 5:9-10
- Buy back people in Lev. 25:47-49 and Ruth 4:10 and Acts 20:28
- Raise up seed to preserve the inheritance Deut. 25:5-10 and Ruth 4:10 and John 1:12
- Ruth is the 8th book in the Bible. Let’s look at the order of the books because they lay out as history and the future will lay out.
- Joshua=Israel enters their Promised land
- Judges = no king in Israel (Judges 21:25 & Hosea 3:4)
- Ruth = period of lawlessness God gets a remnant (Ruth 1:1, when the judges ruled & Romans 11:11, 25)
- 1 Samuel = Saul, wrong king of Israel. He is a type of the Antichrist. The next king Israel will look to will be the wrong man. He will betray them with words of peace and comfort and will kill them in the end.
- 2 Samuel = David, the right king of Israel. He is a type of the Lord Jesus Christ coming AFTER the antichrist.