Text: Ruth 3
Naomi instructs Ruth on how to find rest in the redeemer. Jew telling Gentile how to find rest in the Redeemer.
Redemption Present and Future
- The Lord will fulfill every part of his responsibility. Redemption will be performed and it is something you and I can’t do.
- Redemption is the purchase such as when you redeem a coupon at a store they buy back that coupon at that price. In whom we have redemption through his blood – the purchase – which he hath purchased with his own blood.
- The purchase has been made, but the full possession of the body has not taken place. Waiting for the adoption, to wit, the redemption of the body. Grieve not the holy spirit of God whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption.
- If you are here today and not saved then none of this pertains to you. Your body belongs to sin and will be taken in death and decomposed. And your will die in your sin to be burned like dead mesquite wood. But I’d like you to pay attention because all of this can pertain to you if you will take hold of the Lord Jesus Christ as your personal Redeemer.
Preparation of the Redeemed (vss 1-7)
- After you receive the Lord Jesus Christ, everything about this life is preparation to see the Redeemer.
- wash thyself
- Clean up
- Be holy
- 2 Corinthians 7:1 Having therefore these promises, dearly beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God.
- anoint thee
- Put on some perfume, smell good
- Be filled with the holy spirit of God
- put thy raiment upon thee
- Get dressed up for the occasion
- put on the new man, dress for success
- get thee down to the floor
- Be humble –
- Sitting at the feet of Jesus
- mark the place where he lies down –
Rest of the Redeemed (vss 8-13)
- There are some things you can’t do that have to do with your redemption.
- Rest in the Redeemer
- blessed be thou of the Lord
- Not blessed because of me, but blessed because of Jesus Christ, and I’m in him
- fear not
- I will do to thee all that thou requirest
- And if he doesn’t it won’t get done.
- This is the faith of the redeemed. He says I will and you say I believe that.
- Tarry this night – lie down until morning
- stay here until morning
Hope of the Redeemed (vss 14-18)
- His intentions are shown
- Boaz only gives Ruth a small token so she understands his intentions
- Ruth and Naomi looked at the barley in that vail with expectation. I can’t imagine what is coming next.
- earnest of our inheritance
- he puts it in the thing that covers us – Bring the vail that thou hast upon thee
- the thing that covers you is your flesh and he puts his holy spirit inside your flesh
- How small the token is compared to what is coming
- I think of the greatest mountain top experiences in my Christian life where I just broke down and couldn’t believe what how good the Lord had been to me.
- the books couldn’t contain the volume of his work
- unlawful to speak of in the third heaven
- Hope is her motivation
- The only thing going through her mind after Boaz says what he says is the day of redemption
- She doesn’t think about anything else
- It’s what keeps her clean
- It’s what keeps her resting
- It’s what tempers her joy with longsuffering