The difference between Christianity and all other religions is the resurrection of Jesus Christ. That resurrection proves Jesus Christ’s power over sin and death. If you follow a man who didn’t rise from the dead, you are still in your sins and will die powerless to do anything about it.
What does the resurrection of Jesus Christ mean to you?
Maybe you say you don’t need the resurrection because you’re good enough without Jesus Christ. Well, consider a few things.
God’s Law is Good
- Do you consider yourself a good person? If you’re like everyone else you say, Sure, I’m a good person (Proverbs 20:6).
- Let’s take the good person test this morning. God actually has a test to see if you are a good person.
- Question #1: Have you ever told a lie?
- Question #2: Have you ever stolen something, even very small?
- Question #3: Have you ever used the Lord’s name in vain or cursed with God’s name?
- Question #4: Have you ever been angry with someone because you envied them or angry with someone just because?
- Now you may say but I’m not as bad as_______. That may be true, but ______ has his own sin to deal with and ______ is not the standard. God’s law is the standard, so get ______ out of your mind. This is between you and God.
- Question #5: Have you ever disobeyed your parents?
- We could go through some more, but at this point there is no reason. Those are just five commandments.
- James 2:10, guilty of one, guilty of all.
- Love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all thy soul, with all thy mind. That’s the first and greatest commandment. Have you ever done that in your entire life? So your life has been lived out in disobedience of the first and greatest commandment.
- God’s law is good. If you want to know if you are good, then you measure yourself against God’s law.
God’s Law Only Points Out Sin
- Let me tell you a little secret about God’s law. It is only used to point out your sin. And that is the end of the law. Romans 3:19-20.
- The law expressly exposes sin – I had not known sin, but by the law (Romans 7:7)
- The problem with sin is that when it is found out, there is no white flag. Sin is the most arrogant, prideful, insatiable, hateful, selfish, crafty, insidious, deceitful creature. So when the light of God’s law floods the area of sin, sin gets irate and will react in one of a few ways:
- The law is never used to justify
- Have you ever been written a ticket for good driving?
- Have you ever heard of a court case trying to determine the goodness of someone? This case is to determine how good Mr. Johnson is. That’d be ridiculous. But that is how some people view the court of heaven.
- The law cannot be used to justify anyone. Imagine a man brought up on the charge of murder. His guilt is unquestionable. He doesn’t even dispute the fact that he committed murder. But his defense is unimaginable. He says, Judge, I committed this murder, but I’m such a good person. For the other 364 days that year I was a great employee, faithful to my wife and children, went to church regularly, gave to charity often, and for the other 364 days I didn’t commit murder.
- Now that is what a sinner would say before God.
- Do you understand that guilt is not washed away with good works yet?
Convicted of Sin
- Now that you stand convicted of sin by God’s law he says you will have your day in court. The problem is, you’re already guilty. So this is not a trial to render a verdict, this is day in court is a sentencing.
- Hebrews 9:27. And there you will stand as guilty as God already told you that you were. With nothing to do but listen to God’s sentence against you.
- Romans 2:3 And thinkest thou this, O man, that judgest them which do such things, and doest the same, that thou shalt escape the judgment of God?
- Revelation 21:8 – fiery judgment of God on sin
- Luke 16 – wealthy family man. Focused on the things of this world and never taken the time to address his sin that will one day come before God and God will judge.
If you were to die right now knowing what you know now, is your sin still on you? If it is and you were to die right now, what would happen to you?
People say, no one can know that answer. Just because you don’t know the answer doesn’t mean no one can know. If you’d listen to God’s words you already know the answer.
Jesus Christ Pays for Sin
- 2 Corinthians 5:21 made him to be sin for you
- 1 Peter 3:18 the just for the unjust
- Acts 4:12 neither is there salvation in any other
- Hebrews 10:10-13 one sacrifice for all
- John 1:28 the Lamb of God which taketh away the sin of the world
Jesus Christ death, burial, and resurrection. Being a sacrifice is one thing, but if there is no resurrection, there is no power over sin.
What does the resurrection mean to you? If you’re in your sins, the resurrection means you don’t have to die in your sin.
To know that doesn’t make any difference just as knowing a life preserver has been thrown in the water doesn’t do anything to save you. You’re going to have to do something with what you know now.
Call on the Lord
- Romans 10:13
- 1 John 5:13
- Acts 16:30-31