Text: John 17:3, Hosea 4:1, 6
There is an interesting way to describe eternal life in John 17:3. The first time the phrase knowledge of God shows up is in Proverbs 2:5 after four verses describing someone pining away after wisdom says, Then shalt thou understand the fear of the Lord, and find the knowledge of God.
After you understand God’s judgment of sin and you meet Jesus Christ as savior, you can grow in your relationship with Him and learn that He is wisdom. He is the Counsellor. He is peace. He is strength. He is joy.
Everything about who you are hinges on your relationship with God. The fool hath said in his heart there is no God. What makes him a fool? What he thinks about God. What is eternal life and the effects of eternal life?
Knowledge of God affects your Attitude
- Attitude about yourself – Job 42:5-6 Revelation of God reveals who you are. Up until that point in Job, he was upright, and in comparison to other men, the most outstanding, perfect, pure, man on the face of the earth. But then he came face to face with God Almighty.
- Attitude about yourself – Isaiah 6 when Isaiah comes face to face with God Almighty and declares himself to be unclean
- Attitude about yourself – the world and parents have bought into it that to know yourself you have to study yourself. Proverbs 18:2 says that’s the definition of a fool. Knowing who you are is a result of knowing who God is.
- Attitude about others – charity even as Christ loved you, husbands to wives Ephesians 5, even as Christ forgave you Colossians 3:13
- Attitude about Circumstances – Philippians 3:8
- Attitude about Circumstances – God is working to constantly reveal Himself to you. Luke 8:25 when the disciples are struggling to get the boat to the other side and Jesus is fast asleep during the storm. Principle: Circumstances have a voice. Where you are will tell you how God is trying to reveal himself to you.
Knowledge of God affects your Actions (Behavior)
- 2 Peter 1:2-8
- Revelation changes behavior.
- Colossians 1:10 walking right
Knowledge of God affects your Appetites
- This is why Paul said in Philippians 3:10 that fellowship was the chief goal; that I may know him, and the power of his resurrection, and the fellowship of his sufferings.
- This is what the entire book of 1 John is about. Fellowship with God and Jesus Christ through a further revelation of himself.
- See how it begins 1 John 1:1-3, then skip to the end of the book in 1 John 5:20.
Knowledge of God has some enemies
- We know who they are, but how do they work?
- Hosea 4:1, 6:6 controversy was the lack of knowledge of God in the land. His controversy with this country is the same.
- 2 Corinthians 10:5 spiritual blindness results in the activity of sin