Text: 1 John 3:8-9
It’s important to know that salvation is not a reformation, turning over a new leaf, making a promise or giving your heart to God. It is a new birth among other things.
How many here commit sin? So according to the text, it looks like you’re not a child of God. Or maybe he means there is a part of you that is not born of God and a part of you now that is. Let’s look at the Bible as a whole to see what this means.
Birth of the children by the father
- When your belief, your faith, receives the truth, life begins
- When your belief, your faith, receive a lie corruption begins
- The term born again means another birth; a spiritual birth
- For a baby it is generally nine months after conception. For a newborn child of God it is when the seed of the word of God has been planted, watered, takes root (parable of the sower and the seed in) – Luke 8:15
- The expression of it is faith in the Lord Jesus Christ – Galatians 3:26
- John 1:12 – son of God, referring to the new Spirit that you’ve received
- the child is a son of God – 1 John 3:1-2
- Also a new creature – 2 Corinthians 5:17, Galatians 6:15
- the son of God puts on the new man – Ephesians 2:15, 4:24, Colossians 3:10
- That’s important because we are currently robed in flesh that is the old man
- Body didn’t change at salvation, but it does not change later – Romans 8:23
- Redemption of the body comes at the Rapture/Resurrection of the church, 1 Corinthians 15:51-52 and Ephesians 4:30
Traits that are passed on through the father
- John 8:44 – lies and corruption
- John 8:51 – eternal life
- Conception/Birth determines what we are
- First physical birth – Psalm 51:5 Behold, I was shapen in iniquity; and in sin did my mother conceive me.
- New birth – 1 Peter 1:23 Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever.
- This new seed or generation is holy, sinless and incorruptible. 1 John 3:9 – remember this is only the spirit that has been born again so far. We still live in bodies of flesh that are full of sin.
- Conception/Birth determines these things
- appetite/diet – 1 Peter 2:2 desire the sincere milk of the word
- social setting/fellowship
- reproduction/after their kind
- What your end will be – This is the predestination of Romans 8:29-30. The end is the restored image of God.
- If you’re saved, you are a new creature that calls God, Father.
Benefits of the Father
- access, acceptance, fellowship
- heirs of God
- 1 Corinthians 6:9-11
- 1 Corinthians 15:50-53
- Galatians 5:19-21
- Take the death and destruction of the devil. In God’s wisdom he takes that and uses it for his good.
- Where Satan’s power ends, the Lord Jesus Christ’s power begins.
- joint heirs with Christ
- the Lord Jesus Christ suffered and was glorified and will be glorified. We have the same opportunity
- John 15:19 If ye were of the world, the world would love his own: but because ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you.