Text: Romans 10:13-15
- 1 Corinthians 1:21 – it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe. Christianity is not an ancestral religion, nor is it promoted by the edge of the sword, nor do you buy your way into it.
- 2 Timothy 4:2 – Preach the word
- Titus 1:3 – God manifested his word through preaching
So Paul asks four rhetorical questions.
How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed?
- Answer is they won’t call on him if they don’t believe.
- The gospel is a reasonable system and it appeals to men’s understanding. Isaiah 1:18 Come now, and let us reason together, saith the LORD: though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool.
- Acts 8:30-35. Needed a man to guide him. Preaching done one on one.
- Your knowledge of the scriptures is important. Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.
- Belief is not a sudden overwhelming uncontrollable overtaking of God. People are not passive pawns in the redemptive work of God. Jude 21-23 Keep yourselves in the love of God, looking for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ unto eternal life. And of some have compassion, making a difference: And others save with fear, pulling them out of the fire; hating even the garment spotted by the flesh.
- John writes his gospel for the express purpose. John 20:31 But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name.
- Belief must have some reasons. If you tell someone to believe, you’ve got to tell them who to believe in and why.
- The truth that Jesus Christ died for your sin appeals to you because it makes sense to you.
- If you tell someone that sin is the problem between them and God, you will have to explain something about sin. Preaching is not just a sunday morning, sunday evening, wednesday evening event.
- The scriptures have been given so a sinner can be convinced of his sin. This is based on Romans 3:19, Now we know that what things soever the law saith, it saith to them who are under the law: that every mouth may be stopped, and all the world may become guilty before God.
- Do you consider yourself a good person?
- Have you ever told a lie? What do you call someone who lies? A liar.
- Have you ever stolen something, even very small? What do you call someone who steals? A thief.
- Have you ever used the Lord’s name in vain? What do you call someone who takes God’s name in vain? A blasphemer.
- Have you ever disobeyed your parents? What do you call someone who disobeys their parents?
- Have you ever looked at a house, car, boat, gun, purse something that wasn’t yours and desired to have it? Man, I’d love to have that. Covetous.
- Have you ever been so angry with someone you just wanted to see them get hurt and that would make you feel better. Jesus Christ said you have murder in your heart.
- Those are just a few commandments. James 2:10, guilty of one, guilty of all.
How shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard?
- Answer is they won’t.
- There is no hocus pocus to this. It is a spiritual work and it is a spiritual work done through vessels willing to open their mouths for the Lord.
- There is no substitute for preaching Jesus Christ. 1 Corinthians 1:21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe.
- People will not believe if they don’t hear, that is the truth.
- So what do they need to hear? They need to hear about Jesus Christ according to the scriptures, not the world’s imposed image of him.
How shall they hear without a preacher?
- Answer is they won’t.
- This question deals with the call of a Christian.
- Not a convenient time because this is not part of an unsaved man or woman’s routine. It is going to be out of the ordinary.
- Proverbs 18:16 A man’s gift maketh room for him…
How shall they preach except they be sent?
- Answer is we won’t.
- 2 Corinthians 5:20 ambassadors for Christ
- Romans 1:5-8 called, being sent implies a few things.
- Implies a Need – classifieds now hiring for ____
- Implies an Ability, equipping the saints. Specific and unique purpose.
- Implies an Opportunity
- The Unforgiving Minute – Dealing with missed opportunity
- Let’s make the most of the OPPORTUNITY we’ve been given.
- Moses had to be sent
- Isaiah had to be sent