Text: Hosea 9
The days of visitation (Hosea 9:7) is the time of tribulation for Israel. Amos said, Prepare to meet thy God. Micah said the day of thy watchmen and thy visitation cometh; now shall be their perplexity (Micah 7:4). Isaiah asked the question, And what will ye do in the day of visitation, and in the desolation which shall come from far? to whom will ye flee for help? and where will ye leave your glory? Jeremiah prophesied that their shame is gone, Were they ashamed when they had committed abomination? nay, they were not at all ashamed, neither could they blush: therefore shall they fall among them that fall: in the time of their visitation they shall be cast down, saith the LORD.
The last few chapters of Hosea sound like the lamentation of a husband for an unfaithful wife or a father lamenting a prodigal son. This chapter describes the sin of Israel on a national scale and how it would bring God’s judgment.
Idolatrous Reliability (vs 1-2)
- Time of great prosperity in Israel. Jeroboam II is mighty militarily. Israel is conquering land and broadening her borders.
- It’s hard to convince people who are having a good time and enjoying the fruits of their covetousness that it will come to an end. When the Lord crashes the party it isn’t that he wants to be a party pooper, it’s that what people are enjoying is their idolatry.
- Jeremiah 44:17 But we will certainly do whatsoever thing goeth forth out of our own mouth, to burn incense unto the queen of heaven, and to pour out drink offerings unto her, as we have done, we, and our fathers, our kings, and our princes, in the cities of Judah, and in the streets of Jerusalem: for then had we plenty of victuals, and were well, and saw no evil.
- They loved a reward which is the love of money. 1 Timothy 6:9-12
- Chasing wealth versus following righteousness.
- How much righteousness, godliness, faith, love, patience, and meekness have you and I missed out on because we wanted to “provide for our family”? At least that is how we cloak the idols.
- Famine breaks out in the land
- Famines in a nation are generally man made by covetous legislation.
- China’s great famine
- Foolish biofuels
Imposed Uniformity (vs 3)
- Egypt and Assyria show up together many times in relation to the end of the world. They are the legs of iron.
- Assyria/Egypt – Legs of Iron
- Daniel 2:33, 40-41 – Iron – Psalm 2:8-9, Isaiah 10:5
- 2 legs – North & South
- Egypt – Deuteronomy 4:20, 1 Kings 8:51
- Daniel 11 – King of the North and King of the South
- 3 kings of the north Daniel 11:15, 19-21, Revelation 17:10
- Isaiah 10 (Iron), 36-38
- Jonah to Nineveh
- Micah 5:5-7
- Nahum 1:13 for now…
- The world is a Greek world at the time of Christ.
- Greece the belly of brass. Daniel 2:39 prophesied as well as Daniel 8:1-9, 20-21. Greece is the power that Rome comes out of, but Rome is Greco-Roman. Daniel 2:39 bear rule over all the earth
- Acts 21:37 – Greek speaking, scholars go to “the Greek”
- Romans 1:16, 10:12
- Galatians 3:28
- Colossians 3:11
Impotent Spirituality (vss 4-6)
- Israel has no ability to serve God or to please God anymore because they have squandered what they’ve been given.
- No ability to make offerings
- Unable to please the Lord
- Feast of Tabernacles, Day of Atonement (Hosea 12:9)
- The Lord asks as a warning, what are you going to do then?
- Responsibility to the call of God does not begin when you decide to obey, it begins when the Lord calls.
Intentional Carnality (vss 7-10)
- There are many spiritual leaders that share these attributes of madness, foolishness, hypocrisy, and deceit. But there is one in particular that is the personification of this. He is the false prophet
- Acts 13:6 – He is a Jew while the beast is a Gentile.
- Revelation 16:13, 19:20, 20:10
- Corruption in Gibeah is found in Judges 19:12-31. It was greedy sodomy, rape, and murder where a father offers his daughter to some sodomites so they won’t get the Levite priest who is in his house.
- Baalpeor is a reference to Balaam (Numbers 22-25:1), who is a false prophet in the Bible who caused Israel to commit adultery with Moabite women and bring on them the wrath of God (2 Peter 2:15, Jude 11, Revelation 2:14)
- The false prophets make God’s people more worldly.
Infant Mortality (vss 10-14)
- Most defenseless are taken for granted
- Abortion – Planned Parenthood
- Ephraim shall bring forth his children to the murderer.
- The murderer is the antichrist – the devil incarnate (John 8:44).
- Killing babies is defended in the name of science.
- Hitler did similar things. Gerhard Herbert Kretschmar – the first person killed by official order of Adolph Hitler. He was born blind and missing some limbs. He was five months old. immediately following this illegal act, Hitler’s personal physician, Dr. Karl Brandt, created a registry of children with disabilities and a panel of doctors who would decide who should live and who should be killed. Soon it would include adults. More than 200,000 physically or cognitively disabled people would be killed between 1939 and 1945 in Germany
- China under communism, the one child rule.
- 1 Peter 5:8 Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour: The lion finds the weak first and kills them.
Incorrigible Duality (vss 15-17)
- Gilgal is a reference to Israel’s first king, Saul, who repeatedly disobeyed the Lord there because he did not fear God.
- God says going back to the beginning – the root – is worthless. It is dried up and there is no way to get any fruit out of it.