Text: John 12:27, 1 Peter 3:18
This is a great evangelistic outline so that you could take one verse and preach the entire gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ explaining all the facets of the gospel.
Sufficiency of his suffering
- once suffered for sins
- Why do good people suffer? Job. Why do innocent people suffer? Children. Why does suffering exist?
- The question of why do good people suffer is trumped by the question, why did God suffer?
- Isaiah 53:3-4 He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief: and we hid as it were our faces from him; he was despised, and we esteemed him not. Surely he hath borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows: yet we did esteem him stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted.
- Every other belief tells you to stay in good standing or else your sins will be counted back to you.
- Self righteousness making Christ’s suffering pointless
- Folks go to churches surrounded by relics and symbols of Christ’s suffering while they go about trying to pay their own way for salvation. Hey, look up! It’s paid!
- If you can earn it, why is he hanging on a cross there?
- Luke 24:46 And said unto them, Thus it is written, and thus it behoved Christ to suffer, and to rise from the dead the third day:
- The power of once
- Sin brings suffering. What about innocent suffering? Sin has no discretion of who it touches. It has no guidelines. Sin does not play by any rules.
- But in Christ, sin is completely taken away.
- How many things in your life do you do just once and never have to do them again?
- Hebrews 7:25-26 For such an high priest became us, who is holy, harmless, undefiled, separate from sinners, and made higher than the heavens; Who needeth not daily, as those high priests, to offer up sacrifice, first for his own sins, and then for the people’s: for this he did once, when he offered up himself.
- Hebrews 9:27-28 And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment: So Christ was once offered to bear the sins of many; and unto them that look for him shall he appear the second time without sin unto salvation.
- once means it is an eternal power
Substitutionary nature of his suffering
- the just for the unjust
- Bro Wesson died saving 3 boys in the Dominican Republic as a missionary. Leaving behind four children. He was my age. I saw that and my heart sank on Friday. But then I thought, what a heritage to leave your children. Missionary, serving God, dying a substitutionary and sacrificial death.
- Now Jesus Christ really had every right to say, I don’t deserve this.
- Not only did he have the right, he had the power to call down an angelic host to completely obliterate humanity, or Rome, or whoever he saw fit.
- 2 Corinthians 5:21 For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.
- Paper illustration
- Hebrews 2:9 But we see Jesus, who was made a little lower than the angels for the suffering of death, crowned with glory and honour; that he by the grace of God should taste death for every man.
Separation that was reconciled in his suffering
- that he might bring us to God
- Helpless condition of you and I
- Isaiah 59:2 But your iniquities have separated between you and your God, and your sins have hid his face from you, that he will not hear.
- But Jesus Christ’s job is to bring you back to God
- Colossians 1:20 – In 8 words the entire Bible and scope of God’s redemptive work is summed up, by him to reconcile all things unto himself.
- Everything was good until sin entered the world and the first question God, the Creator, asked of his creation was, Where art thou? Man’s sin by definition was a movement away from God.
- And anywhere in your life that you’re not bearing the fruit of the spirit can be traced back to a place you are not reconciled to the Lord Jesus Christ. The fruit of the spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, and temperance.
- Sometimes offences get between you and the Lord and you lose your peace and joy.
- Sometimes distractions come between you and the Lord and you lose your love.
- Sometimes temptations come between you and the Lord and you lose your faith and temperance.
- The Bible says that one day, those that are saved will have their corruptible bodies changed into incorruptible bodies and fashioned like unto his glorious body (Philippians 3:21). So the body one day must be reconciled to Jesus Christ.
- How about your mind? There are lots of things about our minds that God hasn’t been given control of. Things like depression can be a result of an area of the mind that we haven’t reconciled to God and have kept for ourselves. The Bible, Let this mind be in your which was also in Christ Jesus (Philippians 2:5) and goes on to name seven things that were in the mind of Jesus Christ and should be in our minds. So the mind of a sinner needs to be reconciled to God.
- How about affections? We all love things that come between the Lord and us. God wants our affections reconciled to Jesus Christ. Colossians 3:1-2.
- If God’s work and God’s word are all aimed at reconciling all things to the Lord Jesus Christ, then that makes our business what? 2 Corinthians 5:18-19.
Sacrifice in his suffering
- being put to death in the flesh
- John 15:13 Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.
- John 19:5 Then came Jesus forth, wearing the crown of thorns, and the purple robe. And Pilate saith unto them, Behold the man!
- If you’ve seen me you’ve seen the Father
- the image of the invisible God
- God had never been hungry before, now He was hungry. He had never been thirsty before, now He was thirsty. He had never been tired before, now He was tired. Hebrews 4:15 For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin. (3 words that changed everything)
- Luke 2:52 And Jesus increased in wisdom and stature, and in favour with God and man.
- In that body, God would express
- Humility over pride
- Obedience over rebellion
- Meekness over despotism
- 1 Timothy 3:16 And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh…
Success of his suffering
- quickened by the spirit
- quickened means to be made alive – resurrected
- The work of Jesus Christ as savior is vindicated and completed in his resurrection.
- declared to be the Son of God with power…by the resurrection from the dead
- A man who gets saved is a new creature, not a reformed sinner
- This gospel is not about making bad people better, it is about bringing dead people to life