Text: Hosea 10
The events of Hosea 10 are future events. Notice verse 14 is a past reference to Shalmaneser of 2 Kings 17:3. Hosea 10:8 looks forward to Luke 23:10 and Revelation 6:16, a future time in Israel’s nation.
Reaping Vanity (vss 1-3)
- Prosperity had been a stumbling block just like the Lord warned in Deuteronomy 8:7-14.
- In Israel, every time something became a source of revenue or a source of comfort or pleasure, the people would make an idol out of it.
- Do you mean they would make a little statue out of it? Not necessarily.
- They would devote time, money, energy to this thing and it would take priority over God.
- Covetousness which is idolatry (Colossians 3:5).
- Isaiah 5 show Israel as an unproductive vine
- A divided heart (10:2) is the same way the Lord Jesus Christ put it in
- Matthew 6:24 No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon.
- Proverbs 11:4 Riches profit not in the day of wrath: but righteousness delivereth from death.
- The trouble is trusting in prosperity. 1 Timothy 6:17-19 Charge them that are rich in this world, that they be not highminded, nor trust in uncertain riches, but in the living God, who giveth us richly all things to enjoy; 18 That they do good, that they be rich in good works, ready to distribute, willing to communicate; 19 Laying up in store for themselves a good foundation against the time to come, that they may lay hold on eternal life.
- Israel had no fear of God because they trusted in their prosperity.
- Proverbs 1:24-30
Grim Reaper (vss 4-6)
- The covenant is the covenant of Daniel 9:27
- Isaiah 28:14-19 Wherefore hear the word of the LORD, ye scornful men, that rule this people which is in Jerusalem. 15 Because ye have said, We have made a covenant with death, and with hell are we at agreement; when the overflowing scourge shall pass through, it shall not come unto us: for we have made lies our refuge, and under falsehood have we hid ourselves: 16 Therefore thus saith the Lord GOD, Behold, I lay in Zion for a foundation a stone, a tried stone, a precious corner stone, a sure foundation: he that believeth shall not make haste. 17 Judgment also will I lay to the line, and righteousness to the plummet: and the hail shall sweep away the refuge of lies, and the waters shall overflow the hiding place. 18 And your covenant with death shall be disannulled, and your agreement with hell shall not stand; when the overflowing scourge shall pass through, then ye shall be trodden down by it. 19 From the time that it goeth forth it shall take you: for morning by morning shall it pass over, by day and by night: and it shall be a vexation only to understand the report.
- This is the pale horse – Grimm Reaper – of Revelation 6:7-8
- The name of this king Jareb is not an historical name, but a future name. Shalman (10:14) is Shalmaneser (2 Kings 17:3), but King Jareb does not match any Assyrian recorded in the Bible. That is why none of the commentators can locate him while looking back into history.
- Hosea 5:13 is the only other reference to him.
- This is a prophecy of a future king just as King Josiah was named in 1 Kings 13:2 and born 350 years later in 2 Kings 23:15.
- Just like Cyrus was prophesied of in Isaiah 44:28 and 45:1 and used to stir the heart of the king in Ezra 1:1-3.
- We say we are Bible believers, but sometimes we aren’t. We believe the word eternal means eternal. And it does. What about Bible names we can’t explain? What about when he says Assyria? Oh, that really means Roman Catholicism or whatever we can think of.
Reaping Gibeah (vss 7-9)
- Judges 19-20, just like Sodom and Gomorrah, Gibeah of Benjamin in Israel had been given over to “Gay Pride” and sodomy.
- Ezekiel 16:49 Behold, this was the iniquity of thy sister Sodom, pride, fulness of bread, and abundance of idleness was in her and in her daughters, neither did she strengthen the hand of the poor and needy.
- Jude 7, 11-13
- Suicidal paroxysms
- Luke 23:26-31
- Revelation 6:16
Reaping Obedience (vss 10-12)
- Chastening of the Lord, Hebrews 12:5, 7, 11 (Hebrews – Revelation)
- Purpose is to bring the will of the child in line with the will of the father. God is doing this on a national scale here in Israel in these verses.
Reaping Tumultuous Times (vss 13-15)
- Psalm 83:2-8
- Jeremiah 11:14-17