Podcast: Play in new window | Download
What is man?
- Man is three parts: body, soul, and spirit
- 1 Thessalonians 5:23
- Genesis 2:7
- God made man in his image:
- Spirit – Holy Spirit
- Soul – Father
- Body – Son
What is man after sin has affected him?
- Genesis 2:16-17
- Did they die? Eventually their bodies died, but THAT DAY something died. What was it?
- Their spirit died THAT DAY; they were spiritually dead
- Ephesians 2:1
- They could walk and talk and eat and reproduce but to God they were as good as dead
- God made man in his image, but Adam and Eve sinned and the image changed to a live body, live soul, dead spirit
- Genesis 5:3 And Adam lived an hundred and thirty years, and begat a son in his own likeness, after his image; and called his name Seth:
- No longer the image of God—we all became Adam’s children
- 1 Corinthians 15:22 For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive.
- The body began to live out a death
- The soul was joined to the body typified by a marriage
- Psalm 119:25
- Leviticus 22:6
- Romans 7
What happens when a person dies in their natural state without Christ?
- Luke 16:19-24
- Luke 16:22 says the body is buried
- Luke 16:23 says the soul is in hell
- the soul has a tongue
- has eyes
- has a mouth to scream
- has hands and fingers
- Death and hell cast into the Lake of Fire (Revelation 20:13-14)
- How can a lake be a fire? Volcano is a pretty good illustration of liquid fire.
What happens when you get saved?
- You are born again and a child of God is now the new you
- Colossians 2:11 – Body of sin separated from the soul
- Soul is joined to a new body – Romans 7:1-4
- Ephesians 5 soul is married to Jesus Christ
What happens when a person dies in Christ?
- The body is said to sleep (John 11:12, 1 Corinthians 11:30, 15:51, 1 Thessalonians 4:14)
- The soul is in Christ (2 Corinthians 5:6-8, Ephesians 2:6).
- Jesus Christ provides a glorified body like an ark, for children of God to be put into.
- This is why you are dead and buried in Christ, went down to Hell in Christ (Acts 2:27), and risen in Christ Jesus (Romans 6:3-10)