Text: Proverbs 11:16
The gracious woman is honorable. In this lesson we will look at a woman’s honor. Makes me think of the women’s lib movement and had they listened to this wisdom they would know that loud and stubborn doesn’t create honor. Honor is not something you force on someone else.
- Names honored over the centuries like Sarah, Mary, Esther, Deborah, Ruth, Elizabeth, Rebeka, Hannah, Abigail, and Phoebe versus Jezebel, Vashti, Gomer, and Herodias. Long after they are gone there is honor or dishonor bestowed on them.
- Graciousness is that sweet spirit. Subtle, humble, discrete.
- First time this word is associated with someone other than God.
- 2 Timothy 1:5 Lois and Eunice – Timothy becomes pastor of the Ephesian church. We have a letter to the Ephesians because of his work. And it was the unfeigned faith of his mother and grandmother that influenced him so heavily in God’s calling.
- In a room of 120 pastors it was asked how many had been led to the Lord by their mother. 100 of them raised their hand.
- I remember being on a drilling rig and getting a phone call from my wife telling me about one of the kids she had just led to the Lord.
- I was led to the Lord by my mom.
- There was clear Biblical instruction for Timothy from his mother and grandmother.
- Hannah – 1 Samuel 1 – her prayer, her lending Samuel to the Lord (how hard was that?!) To see her adversary with children, then having only one of her own and giving him to the Lord, willingly separating herself from him. But affecting the nation of Israel with her sacrifice and influence. Hannah influenced a nation!
- Proverbs 31:12-22 you see all the things that she does to keep the life of her home
- Titus 2:3-5 The aged women likewise, that they be in behaviour as becometh holiness, not false accusers, not given to much wine, teachers of good things; 4 That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children, 5 To be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God be not blasphemed.
- In her influence she exalts and glorifies the word of God in her life.
- Proverbs 14:1 Every wise woman buildeth her house: but the foolish plucketh it down with her hands.
- Jochebed, mother of Israel’s leader
- Jochebed, Moses mother hiding Moses in the water to keep him alive. Hebrews 11:23 By faith Moses, when he was born, was hid three months of his parents, because they saw he was a proper child; and they were not afraid of the king’s commandment.
- Hebrews 11:11 Through faith also Sara herself received strength to conceive seed, and was delivered of a child when she was past age, because she judged him faithful who had promised.
- Mom, what has your faith done for your children?
- Proverbs 6:20 the law of thy mother
- Proverbs 31:1 the prophecy that his mother taught him
- Luke 17:32 Lot’s wife – a woman full of regrets Regrets that destroyed her. What should I have done?
- She understands that she is not the source of grace, but she is a vessel of it.
- The Shunemite woman.
- She prepared to be a blessing
- Preparation, discipline, study, selflessness
- Generous, hospitable, selfless, serving; this is what she desired to be.
- We invite many things into our home. Much more these days as things are piped in.