Text: Colossians 3:1-4
We are told to set our affection on things above and alot of times our problem is that we are too earthly minded. Our thoughts never leave the ground. Today we will obey that instruction and set our affection on things above.
Why be heavenly minded?
- You’re risen with Christ
- Dead to this world
- How many of our prayers revolved around making sure this life is comfortable. This life is manageable. This life is painless and healthy.
- We are to enjoy thoughts about heaven, Matthew 6:19-20 & Colossians 3:2
- You make good decisions when your eyes are on Jesus Christ.
- You make bad decisions when your eyes aren’t.
- Nearer to heaven now than we were yesterday.
- Romans 8:16-23
- Contrast suffering with glory – apples and oranges, not worthy to be compared with the glory
- Revelation 21:11-27
- 21:16—Size 12,000 furlongs (furlong = 1/8 mile) = 1500 miles length, width, height
- a single city that covers half the continental United States
- Height 5,462 Sears Towers stacked on each other
- Commercial jets fly about 6 miles above ground
- 21:18,21—Foundation of gold, streets of gold with gemstone garnishes inlaid in the foundations with the apostles names (Ephesians 2:19-20—pyramid)
- 21:17—the wall is about 250 feet high
- 21:21—pearly gates (diameter 30+ feet, maybe as tall as the wall?)
- Largest pearl on earth found is 9.5 inches long, oblong shaped, weighs 14 lbs and worth $40M ($500/grain)
- Minimum 30 ft diameter, 445 tons (2.71 specific gravity), $8,373,035,482,000, 12 of them (at this size, one pearl would pay back the entire the U.S. national debt)
- Tree of Life along the river of life—Revelation 2:7, 22:2, 14
- River of Life—Revelation 22:1, 17
- Many Mansions—John 14:2-3
- No bathrooms in the floor plan
- Revelation 21:4, 7:16-17—no tears, sin, death…
- Revelation 22:3-5—no night, no curse
- Isaiah 65:17—no bad memories