Text: Psalm 138:2
- Is it necessary that God reveal himself to us? Yes. If we’re going to know anything about God, He will have to reveal Himself to us.
- Is it possible that God would reveal himself to us? Yes.
- Would a loving God reveal himself to us?
- What is the most complete way a loving God would reveal himself to sinners?
Why is the Bible unique?
- It is Impossible to have an human author
- 40 authors, 3 continents, 1600 years.
- No one man could be responsible for its content.
- In comparison,
|It is a set of rules supposedly from Gabriel to Mohammed in a defense of Islam and the moon god Allah. It is the work of one man and consists mostly of Bible verses pulled out of context and retold. Full of contradictions.|
|Tripitaka handed down in oral tradition after Buddha died. A collection of his sayings. It is a set of rules that elevates man and says the truth is inside him. (Time of Esther Buddha is teaching in India under which King Ahasuerus had dominion. Esther 1:1)|
|1 (unknown)||4th Century BC||The Gita is an account of Krishna and Arjuna having a conversation before a great battle and Krishna showing Arjuna that he is God and giving Arjuna some rules to live by. It elevates man to godly status.|
- It is the truth, John 17:17
- Where would you find truth if you didn’t have this book?
- All experiences and doctrines should be laid to the plumbline of God’s words (Galatians 1:6-9, 2 Peter 1:13-21)
- Every Answer is in that book
- Every time the Pharisees would castigate Jesus for something his response was this: Have ye not read?!
- The words in here change your character
- If we are too busy for the truth, we are absolutely too busy.
- It is the eyewitness account of the beginning and the end
- Revelation 1:8
- Bible believers have this advantage in life; we know where we came from, we know where we are going, and we know what to do while we are here.
- Heard a professor say the Bible is inflexible and therefore untrue. But “science” is self correcting and ever changing, therefore, superior to the Bible.
- First of all if you get it right the first time you don’t have to change your position.
- Second of all, an ever changing position tells me I could never trust the results.
- It is the words of Eternal Life
- John 5:39-40, John 6:68, 1 Peter 1:23, James 1:18
- Eternal life begins now, the words of God show what that looks like – Psalm 73:24-28, 1 Timothy 6:12
- It is Incorruptible
- John 10:35, Isaiah 40:8, Matthew 24:35
- God’s words are not bound (2 Timothy 2:9); there is no copyright on the text of the King James Bible
- It is Prophecy
- Deuteronomy 18:21-22 & Isaiah 41:21-29, Revelation 19:10
- The amount of prophecy already fulfilled in Jesus Christ’s 1st coming is literally astronomical – 50 prophecies = odds better for a blind man to pull one red electron out of a universe filled with black electrons: 1×10^157th mathematically miraculous (Peter Stoner & Robert Newman. Science Speaks).
- As Stoner concludes, ‘Any man who rejects Christ as the Son of God is rejecting a fact, proved perhaps more absolutely than any other fact in the world (Stoner, p.112).’
- The Author is Present with His words
- Inspiration – 2 Timothy 3:16-17 & Job 32:8 – God breathed into Adam the breath of life and that spirit was his connection to God. Proverbs 20:27 spirit in man is his candle
- Hebrews 4:12-13 – living words
- Revelation 5:3 – He’s the only one that can open the book (Daniel 12 he seals the book)
- It is Your Sufficiency
- Creation occurred by the words of God and continues to exist by the words of God (Hebrews 1:3); therefore God likens his words to things we look to sustain us like food and water
- Milk – 1 Peter 2:2
- Honey – Psalm 119:103
- Bread – Luke 4:4
- Water – Ephesians 5:26
- Meat – Hebrews 5:12-14
- It is an opportunity to exercise faith and please God – Romans 10:17
- It is your mirror for self examination – James 1:23-25
- It is your offensive weapon: how you mount an attack on a spiritual stronghold.
- Ephesians 6:17, Hebrews 4:12 & Revelation 19:15
- It is your final judge
- John 12:44-50 – God’s words are your judge
- Luke 16:19-31 – what you do with the words of God will determine what God will do with you
- Book will damn a man as well as save him
What do you do with the words of God?
- Read them – 1 Timothy 4:13
- All the kings of Israel were instructed to write a copy of the law – Genesis-Deuteronomy – and read it daily.
- When this epistle is read…
- Do you know why the Holy Spirit of God had men write letters and books? So that they would be read!
- Rightly divide them
- Every false religion, every cult comes from a Bible verse that has been taken out of context, misinterpreted, or just used to make a point.
- Study it. Spend time in it.
- Book’s understanding depends upon your hearts approach to it
- watch the snares in the blindspots
- watch the pitfalls for the hard hearted
- Receive them
- Some scoffer said that man wrote the Bible. Well, some man wrote your book. As we’ve established no one man could possibly be responsible for the Bible
- You’re dealing with a powerful book
- changes nations
- changes people
- changes destinies
- heals families
- heals sinners