Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Gratitude is toward God
- James 1:17
- Being thankful requires someone to be thankful to.
- Over and over in the Bible it says, thankful to God, thanks unto God, giving thanks to God
Gratitude gives God an opportunity to work
- Sanctifying power of gratitude
- 1 Timothy 4:3-4
- Thankfulness is the open hand that God can fill
- The poison of ingrates – Romans 1 neither were they thankful
- Grumbling and murmuring has the opposite effect.
- God can’t use it even if He’s given it to you because of your attitude about it.
- Manna in the wilderness as an example.
Gratitude sees God’s hand of grace
- In everything give thanks – that’s hard sometimes. But when you remember the promises of God it helps you recognize the value of the circumstances you’re in.
- When you consider the things you are thankful to God for you could put them all into two categories; God’s promises and God’s provision.
- Circumstances – If you know the Lord is working things toward an end that is better than the beginning then being thankful is easily managed.
- If you’re saved here today it’s because God took a mess and cleaned it up. What do you have in Christ?
- Future glory – hope, not comparable to suffering now
- standing with God – justified, washed, redeemed, eternal life, open line of communication, vessel of the Holy Spirit, peace of God, joy of God, love of God
- Don’t let your attitude be dictated by what you don’t have. Get your attitude from what is there, not from what is not.
Gratitude is peace
- peace of God
- Philippians 4:6 – this is the model prayer the Lord Jesus Christ used when praying for the food that day.
- Colossians 3:5
- Peace Offering made with thanksgiving
- Saying thank you is good, but living “thank you” is much better
- Leviticus 22:29-30 – sacrifice of thanksgiving
- This Thanksgiving offering is just that. It’s not the people that say “Thank You”, but the people that willingly offer of themselves, their livelihoods to God Almighty and as much as they desire to own some part of that grace given to them, we know, we’d never look at the Lord Jesus Christ and say, I deserved what you did for me.
Gratitude is God’s will in Christ for you
- 1 Thessalonians 5:18 says God would accomplish things in Christ on your behalf that would engender gratitude
- God wanted to create a people that would be grateful, not entitled.
Gratitude is an eternal attitude that is prevalent in heaven
- In Revelation over and again you see folks gathered around the throne of God giving thanks