Text: John 14:15-26
There are several practical lessons to be learned about the work of the Holy Spirit of God from these verses.
Equipping of the Comforter
- Sending the Comforter says something about what God’s people need
- The Lord Jesus Christ could have said, “I’m going to my Father, and I’ll pray the Father will deposit a million dollars in your bank accounts.” Or, “I’m going to my Father, and I’ll pray the Father will give you the ability to destroy anyone you don’t like.”
- Empathetic that the Lord would provide his Holy Spirit to help the believer be obedient.
- If Jesus Christ had said, “I’m going away, but I’ll be coming back,” and left it at that, it would have been good. Instead the Lord says, I’m going away, the house is yours, eat what you want, there is plenty of water to drink, there is money in the bank in case you need to buy anything, run the heater or the A/C how you need to. The Lord Jesus Christ makes provision in His absence by His Holy Spirit.
- Obedience will come with difficulties as the Lord fully understands. He knows our frame that we are but dust. In knowing the difficulties the Lord further extends His mercy by sending the Holy Spirit to help his people love Him, and obey Him.
- 2 Corinthians 1:3-4 Blessed be God, even the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies, and the God of all comfort; 4 Who comforteth us in all our tribulation, that we may be able to comfort them which are in any trouble, by the comfort wherewith we ourselves are comforted of God.
Indwelling of the Comforter
- The fellowship of the Comforter speaks volumes about the thorough work of the Lord Jesus Christ in a sinner’s life.
- Work of the Holy Spirit in the OT verses in the NT
- If you ever wanted to see the completeness, cleansing, the change that the work of the Lord Jesus Christ brought to sinners, it can be seen by comparing these two verses.
- Genesis 6:3 And the LORD said, My spirit shall not always strive with man, for that he also is flesh: yet his days shall be an hundred and twenty years.
- John 14:15-16 If ye love me, keep my commandments. 16 And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;
- Before Jesus Christ there is a striving with man on behalf of God’s Holy Spirit, but after the Lord Jesus Christ the Holy Spirit comes to abide with God’s people forever.
- Fellowship with the truth
- He is the Spirit of truth. Fellowship with the Holy Spirit of God is on the grounds of truth.
- The world can’t receive him because the world will not accept the truth.
- I remember going out to Port Aransas one year with Gerald Sutek and open air preaching with some guys out on the beach during C Sculptures. There were lots of folks there. I simply quoted John 3:16 and Ephesians 2:8-9 For by grace are ye saved through faith and that not of yourselves it is the gift of God. And for God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son….I said those verses over and over again for several minutes.
- And inevitably I heard, “Stop being so mean spirited. You’re turning people away.” Now, nothing in those verses is hateful or mean. People who find the truth offensive will find the truth offensive whether it comes from John the Baptist calling them snakes, or whether it comes from Paul saying God commendeth his love toward us…
- Then there were others who heard the preaching and said, Keep it up! Amen!
- Verse 18, Christ in you the hope of glory. Comfort is synonymous with hope. Colossians 1:27 To whom God would make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles; which is Christ in you, the hope of glory:
- The indwelling of the Holy Spirit of God in a believer is a gift from God and a clear display of the goodness of God on a sinner turned saint.
Manifestation of the Comforter
- Certain groups in Christianity have made a big deal about the manifestation of the Holy Spirit of God in signs and wonders and completely missed this question Judas (Thaddeus) asks. Judas’ (Thaddeus) question in verse 22 is answered starting in verse 26. The Lord Jesus Christ reiterates in verses 23-25 what he’s said in verses 15-21 then answers the question in verse 26.
- Manifestation of the Holy Spirit of God is not tongues talking, healing, or any of those physical evidences some folks say. The manifestation of the Holy Spirit of God is His ability to teach you and remind you of the words of God.
- The ministry of the Holy Spirit, the Comforter, is in direct connection to the words of God.
- Comfort in connection to the words of God in Isaiah 40 – Comfort ye my people. SPEAK ye comfortably to Jerusalem.
- Comfort in connection to the words of God in 1 Thessalonians – Wherefore comfort one another with these words. What words? Words inspired by the Holy Spirit of God to move Paul to write about the rapture and reuniting of all Christians in the Lord.
- The author is the interpreter
- 2 Timothy 3:16-17 All scripture IS given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.
- Job 32:8 But there is a spirit in man: and the inspiration of the Almighty giveth them understanding.
- Genesis 40:8 And they said unto him, We have dreamed a dream, and there is no interpreter of it. And Joseph said unto them, Do not interpretations belong to God? tell me them, I pray you. (See Daniel 2:16-18 also)
- I John 2:27 But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him.
- Teaching and feeding
- The author is the interpreter
A distinguishing mark of a true born again child of God is comfort when others are not comforted.
- Paul at the end of his life