Text: John 15:18-27
- The world in the Bible describes a system of damnation that snares men’s souls. It was setup by Satan – the devil – for the purpose of leading souls into perdition. 2 Corinthians 4:3-4 But if our gospel be hid, it is hid to them that are lost: 4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.
- The world system, established by the devil, is founded on the principles of consumption. In other words it has the same philosophy as a leech: give me, give me. 1 John 2:16 For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world. The world system is a framework of vanity and deception. It appeals to the flesh with temporary offers of pleasure. Mark 8:36 For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? It’s consumer mindset is the method the devil uses to destroy the soul. The devil is a master of taking an eternal soul and destroying it forever with a temporary world.
- Over time of fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind, that season of pleasure turns into a burden. Mark 4:19 And the cares of this world, and the deceitfulness of riches, and the lusts of other things entering in, choke the word, and it becometh unfruitful. Those pleasures become a noose that choke the word of God in your life.
- The world system doesn’t just make lost souls out of innocent souls. How incredible it is to think of baby Charles Manson. Nearly impossible to think of that lunatic as an innocent child at one time. I’m sure he had people “oooh” and “aaah” over him as an infant. He wasn’t born with a swastika on his head. But his friendship with the world over time created a blind beast and lost soul. 1 John 2:15 Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him. Choices matter.
- The world is indiscriminate in its appeal. Meaning it doesn’t just target innocent souls, it will also ensnare saved ones as well. It doesn’t have the power to make a saved soul lost, but it does have power to make a saved soul useless to the Lord Jesus Christ. Paul mourned the desertion of his fellow labourer. 2 Timothy 4:10 For Demas hath forsaken me, having loved this present world, and is departed unto Thessalonica. Demas was seduced by the world. If Demas could come back and report on his decision to forsake Paul’s ministry he’d tell us it wasn’t worth it. Solomon had already said as much in Ecclesiastes; vanity of vanities.
- Because the world is destructive in its effect, it is by nature self destructive. Like a bomb that destroys its target, its purpose is fulfilled in its own destruction. That bomb will only be used once.
- So too the world has a date with its own demise. The disciples asked in Matthew 24:3 … Tell us, when shall these things be? and what shall be the sign of thy coming, and of the end of the world?
- 1 John 2:17 And the world passeth away, and the lust thereof: but he that doeth the will of God abideth for ever.
- The world system was founded in opposition to God. The Bible calls it the foundation of the world. Often misquoted and misunderstood as being the creation of the earth, the foundation of the world is the time in history when the devil established his own kingdom of destruction inside of God’s creation. The world is never the earth in the Bible and the earth is never the world.
- Luke 11:50 That the blood of all the prophets, which was shed from the foundation of the world, may be required of this generation;
- There was a Lamb slain from the foundation of the world. Even the devil cannot outsmart God who is always several steps ahead. Revelation 13:8 And all that dwell upon the earth shall worship him, whose names are not written in the book of life of the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world.
- Ephesians 1:4 According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love:
- Hebrews 9:26 For then must he often have suffered since the foundation of the world: but now once in the end of the world hath he appeared to put away sin by the sacrifice of himself.
- Because the world is set on a course of destruction and God is good, the Lord Jesus Christ chose to deliver souls out of it. Galatians 1:4 Who gave himself for our sins, that he might deliver us from this present evil world, according to the will of God and our Father:
- Ephesians 2:1-3 And you hath he quickened, who were dead in trespasses and sins; 2 Wherein in time past ye walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that now worketh in the children of disobedience: 3 Among whom also we all had our conversation in times past in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind; and were by nature the children of wrath, even as others.
- Division from the world. Separation so you are not partaker in its destruction.
- Romans 12:2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.
- This the reason the two are never in agreement. James 4:4 Ye adulterers and adulteresses, know ye not that the friendship of the world is enmity with God? whosoever therefore will be a friend of the world is the enemy of God. There is no middle ground between the two parties. The world is a course in direct opposition to the Lord Jesus Christ and the Lord Jesus Christ is in direct opposition to it.
- Applications (John 15:18-27)
- Make your expectation match the word of God
- Don’t take it personally. You’re talking to a soul that is being led by the lust of the flesh, lust of the eyes, or pride of life. And there is natural animosity toward the Lord Jesus Christ pointing out that sin.
- You are in the world, but not of it. You are a witness for the purpose of drawing lost souls out of a system that drag them into perdition.