Heard a scientist the other day say keep the Bible out of the science classroom. That’s like throwing away the instruction manual. He went on to blame God for all the trouble.
What is man?
- Man is three parts: body, soul, and spirit
- 1 Thessalonians 5:23
- Genesis 2:7
- God made man in his image:
- Spirit – Holy Spirit – Conscience, emotions (unclean spirit is angry or crying all the time – excessive emotional state)
- Soul – Father – Will of God, Reason
- Body – Son – Crucified
What is man after sin has affected him?
- Genesis 2:16-17 – Did they die? Eventually their bodies died, but THAT DAY something died. What was it?
- Their spirit died that day; they were spiritually dead
- Ephesians 2:1
- They could walk and talk and eat and reproduce but to God they were as good as dead
- God made man in his image, but Adam and Eve sinned and the image changed to a live body, live soul, dead spirit
- Genesis 5:3 And Adam lived an hundred and thirty years, and begat a son in his own likeness, after his image; and called his name Seth:
- No longer the image of God—we all became Adam’s children
- 1 Corinthians 15:22 For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive.
- The body began to live out a death
- The soul was joined to the body typified by a marriage
- Psalm 119:25
- Leviticus 22:6
- Romans 7
What happens when a person dies in their sin?
- Luke 16:19-24
- Luke 16:22 says the body is buried
- Luke 16:23 says the soul is in hell
- the soul has a tongue
- has eyes
- has a mouth to scream
- has hands and fingers
- Death and hell cast into the Lake of Fire (Revelation 20:13-14)
- How can a lake be a fire? Volcano is a pretty good illustration of liquid fire.
What happens when you get saved?
- You are born again and a child of God is now the new you
- Colossians 2:11 – Body of sin separated from the soul
- Soul is joined to a new body – Romans 7:1-4
- Ephesians 5 soul is married to Jesus Christ
What happens when a person dies in Christ?
- The body is said to sleep (John 11:12, 1 Corinthians 11:30, 15:51, 1 Thessalonians 4:14)
- The soul is in Christ (2 Corinthians 5:6-8, Ephesians 2:6).
- Jesus Christ provides a glorified body like an ark, for children of God to be put into.
- This is why you are dead and buried in Christ, went down to Hell in Christ (Acts 2:27), and risen in Christ Jesus (Romans 6:3-10)