Text: John 16:25-33
Where joy is the energy and love is the motive, peace is the stability of a child of God. It is the quieted conscience of the sinner turned child of God. It is the restful mind of the child of God living in the light, not in the dark. It is the surrendered will to the infinitely wise and loving Father’s perfect will. It is the hopeful heart patiently waiting for glory. It is loving fellowship upward with God Almighty and outward with each other.
Charles Wesley, brother of John Wesley wrote:
I rest beneath the Almighty’s shade,
My griefs expire, my troubles cease;
Thou, Lord, on whom my soul is stayed,
Wilt keep me still in perfect peace.
Peace is your assurance of God’s hand
- I will shew you plainly of the Father
- First, the resurrection and the Lord Jesus Christ, then He walks and teaches them for forty days after His resurrection. Then ascends up into Heaven and sends His Holy Spirit ten days later. After all this it will make abundantly clear what God is accomplishing.
- Jesus Christ is the way the truth and the life. We quote that verse to show the exclusiveness of salvation in Jesus Christ alone, but it has many implications. Jesus Christ is literally going to pave the way for a sinner to the throne of God. And when a sinner gets to that throne through the Lord Jesus Christ, there is now an ability to see things from God’s perspective.
- Peace of knowing your place in God’s work
- God made me to fit here. Confidence in the work of God and your place in it.
- Peace of knowing God’s in this set of circumstances.
- It’s easier to look back to see God’s hand. Some of you need to remember. How often we forget the Lord’s leading and we are quickly sidetracked.
- Present peace is obedience to the last thing the Lord told you to do.
- That is how prayer works. Philippians 4:6-7 Be careful for nothing; but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.
- Peace can also be identified by its absence. Sin is the children of God causes peace to go away. Why? You know God is not in it.
Peace is your access into God’s home
- The entrance of a dirty sinner into God’s holy home is impossible. Sin will not be tolerated in Heaven.
- Did your mom ever stop you at the door after you’ve been playing outside in the dirt and mud and say, Take those filthy clothes off before you come into this house!
- Gospel is the gospel of peace.
- When Jesus Christ was born the angels sang out, Peace on earth
- Peace is a privilege.
- His blood allowed Jesus Christ to enter the Holy Place on behalf of the people – Hebrews 9:1-3, 6-7, 11-12
- Ephesians 2:12-13 STRANGErs made nigh by the blood of Christ
- His blood eliminates guilt – Hebrews 9:14
- His blood brings sinners into the family of God to be heirs – Hebrews 9:15-17
- His blood takes away sin – Hebrews 10:3-4, 11-12, 14
Peace is adoring God’s holy words
- Notice the relationship of peace and the words of God.
- Notice the Lord’s way of dealing with trouble is not to take it away here, but to provide his help in the midst of it.
- Safety consists not in the absence of danger but in the presence of God.
- Psalm 119:165 Great peace have they which love thy law: and nothing shall offend them.
Peace is the accomplishment of Jesus Christ
- Prince of Peace. Peace is only in Jesus Christ though the world around us is falling apart and falling apart desperately.
- Romans 8:31-39 Paul addresses the outer conflict while the child of God rests in the peace that Jesus Christ has given him.
- Romans 8:31 If God be for us, who can be against us? – Adversaries –
- Romans 8:32 He that spared not his own Son, but delivered him up for us all, how shall he not with him also freely give us all things? – Necessities – God was so graciously working on your behalf as to come here as a man and willingly die for you, do you think there is some other, more minute need He will ignore?
- Romans 8:33 Who shall lay anything to the charge of God’s elect? It is God that justifieth. – Accusations – How will you possibly condemn someone God has already justified. This verse is a great comfort to me because I know I don’t bring any qualifications to the Lord Jesus Christ for being a pastor. But to know that God Almighty has called me to this relieves that insecurity.
- Romans 8:34 Who is he that condemneth? It is Christ that died, yea rather, that is risen again, who is even at the right hand of God, who also maketh intercession for us. – Condemnations – In order for an accusation to made against a blood bought child of God, that accuser has to go through Jesus Christ.
- Romans 8:35-37 Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword? 36 As it is written, For thy sake we are killed all the day long; we are accounted as sheep for the slaughter. 37 Nay, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him that loved us. – Trouble of all sorts. Didn’t God find you when you were in trouble. Now, what makes you think He’s going to leave you when trouble comes?! You will find these circumstances happen to saved and unsaved people and no one is immune from death or disease or tragedy or trouble. The difference with a child of God is his faith and hope rest in someone who has already conquered all these things. It is no more a guess or wishful thinking, but a solid rock on which to stand.
- Romans 8:38-39 For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, 39 Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord. – No created thing can dislodge a child of God from the Father. All creatures are subject to the Creator.