Text: Revelation 8:9-10
- Mediterranean, Dead Sea, Red Sea, Persian Gulf, Galilee?
- All these had large docs or commercial fishing and some were big enough to have navies in them.
- As it were a mountain so it’s an enormous piece of land that is like a mountain
- Mount of Olives, Mount Carmel, Mount Horeb, and Mount Sinai are significant mountains
- John says this thing is as it were a mountain, not that it was a mountain. Cities are likened to mountain in the Bible, but only a few.
- Jerusalem as Mount Zion – Isaiah 40:9 O Zion, that bringest good tidings, get thee up into the high mountain; O Jerusalem, that bringest good tidings, lift up thy voice with strength; lift it up, be not afraid; say unto the cities of Judah, Behold your God!
- Babylon as a destroying mountain – Jeremiah 51:25 Behold, I am against thee, O destroying mountain, saith the LORD, which destroyest all the earth: and I will stretch out mine hand upon thee, and roll thee down from the rocks, and will make thee a burnt mountain.
- Personally, I think the mountain is also a city where the “beast” has a stronghold. Revelation 17:9 shows you there are seven areas where the Babylonian religion would be concentrated in the promised land.
- Amos 1:4-2:5: Damascus, Gaza, Tyrus, Bozrah, Rabbah, Kerioth, and Jerusalem.
- Notice the manner of destruction of these places – I will send fire…
Things cast into the sea
- Indication of a curse
- Plague of locusts in Egypt was swept off the land and cast into the sea.
- Pharaoh and his chariots were cast into the sea in Exodus 15:4
- Devil possessed pigs
- Someone who puts a stumblingblock before a child
- Disobedient prophet Jonah
- Peter threw himself in the sea when he saw Jesus Christ resurrected
- Millstone typifying Babylon
- Sin cast into the sea according to Micah 7:19
- If it is truly a city, particularly a stronghold for the devil, then it is under a curse.
- Mark 8:22-26 and Matthew 11:21
- John 3:36 He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.
- The people who would know this are God’s people who believe God’s words.
Prayers of the Saints
- Revelation 8:3-4 prayers offered to God and response is the blowing of the trumpets for a targeted and systematic destruction of the world.
- So the prayers are offered and let’s consider what prayer would have to do with something like a mountain being cast into the sea.
- Matthew 21:17-22
- Mark 11:23
- Psalm 46 is that prayer of faith for the tribulation saint.