Text: John 17
You’ll notice in this prayer that the Lord Jesus Christ speaks for his disciples and honors them before his Father. But not only them, those who will come after them. He asks the Father to make certain provisions based on what he’s done and how his disciples have received his words; in other words, by grace (of what Jesus Christ has done), through faith (their response to his words).
The Lord Jesus Christ accomplished things that others would benefit from. In this prayer, the Lord Jesus Christ requests from the Father that certain inheritances be given to those who place their faith in the words of God. His request is based on what He has accomplished and is about to accomplish on the believer’s behalf.
We’re going to walk through this chapter three times, not reading it verse by verse, but pick up different things each time through. We’re going to walk through it with a different set of eyes each pass through.
- An intercessor, a mediator must have credentials. He must be able to satisfy requirements of both parties.
- I have glorified thee (vs 4)
- I have finished the work (vs 4)
- I have manifested thy name (vs 6)
- I have given unto them God’s words (vs 8)
- I have kept them (vs 12)
- I have sent them (vs 18)
- I have given them glory (vs 22)
- I have known thee (vs 25)
- I have declared thy name (vs 26)
- Romans 8:34 Who is he that condemneth? It is Christ that died, yea rather, that is risen again, who is even at the right hand of God, who also maketh intercession for us.
- Sinners would be the benefactors of what Jesus Christ has done.
- Benefit of eternal life (vs 2)
- Unto them (vs 6)
- Unto them (vs 8)
- Prayer for believers (vs 9)
- That they may be… (vs11)
- That they might have joy (vs 13)
- Keep them from evil (vs 15)
- Whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.
- Hebrews 7:25 Wherefore he is able also to save them to the uttermost that come unto God by him, seeing he ever liveth to make intercession for them.
- Sanctify them (vs 17 and 19)
- Sanctified means to set something apart for use. When you wash your dirty dishes, you then set the clean dish apart for use.
- Sanctified by the truth. That is how you’ll get cleaned up.
- Sanctified for the highest calling.
- For them also which shall believe (vs 20)
- That they may be (vss 21-23)
- Mediator of perfection
- Reconciled in Jesus Christ
- They may be with me (vs 24)
- I am the way…
- God’s love be in them…(vs 26)
- I believe God the Father answered every single one of these prayer requests made by the Lord Jesus Christ on behalf of believers. We are privy to a conversation between the triune God.
- The theme of this prayer is the truth that the saints of God will be left in the world – left in the lion’s den so to speak. And the Lord is asking to prepare them for success in an evil world.
- Verse 11 begins the intercessory prayer. Seven things Jesus Christ prayed for saved people.
- Keep them (vs 11) – We are prone to wander
- Fill them with joy (vs 13) – We want to be filled with other things
- Protect them (vs 15) – We look for other sources of protection when we’re afraid.
- Set them apart (vs 18) – We will want to be conformed to the world.
- Testify of the Son of God (vs 21) – We will be ashamed of Jesus Christ.
- Vessels of the God’s blessing (vs 23) – We won’t walk by faith and won’t let God’s blessings be seen.
- Give them hope in heaven (vs 24) – We will want to focus on what’s here.