The root word of knowledge is know. In marriage the Lord uses the word know – Adam knew his wife Eve – and so Adam became a part of Eve and Eve became a part of Adam. Knowledge is making information a part of you.
Knowledge is making information a part of your identity. So let’s consider this gift of the Spirit called the word of knowledge.
Definition of this spiritual gift
- A word of knowledge is making a piece of information a part of your identity.
- In a computer system it is like software. The hardware is useless without the software of a programmer. Conversely, the software that’s sitting in a box needs to be plugged into hardware for it to do its job. Wisdom deals with application, knowledge is information becoming a part of you.
- Knowledge differs from wisdom. Wisdom is application, but knowledge is not. You can have knowledge of things that you can’t do anything about. Wisdom is voluntary, dealing with behavior while knowledge can be voluntary or involuntary and deals with programming.
- In the garden of Eden the Lord did not want the knowledge of evil to enter into mankind, but Adam and Eve disobeyed and that knowledge of evil became a part of them – a part of their programming. The Lord didn’t want that “virus” of sin to be programmed in there, but Adam and Eve were tempted to. That evil became present in every good thought they had. With every wholesome thought of love and marriage there would be a perverted thought of love and marriage in the same mind.
- The opposite was true when the children of Israel entered the promise land. In Deuteronomy 1:39 Moreover your little ones, which ye said should be a prey, and your children, which in that day had no knowledge between good and evil, they shall go in thither, and unto them will I give it, and they shall possess it. These kids may have been born with a sin nature, but disobedience was a reflex, not a conscious decision yet. They did not have a knowledge of evil, just a sin nature.
Purpose of this spiritual gift
- In the same way that the knowledge of evil short circuited man like a virus does computer software, the knowledge of God is what reprograms him correctly.
- Hosea 4:1, Hear the word of the LORD, ye children of Israel: for the LORD hath a controversy with the inhabitants of the land, because there is no truth, nor mercy, nor knowledge of God in the land. … 6 My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge: because thou hast rejected knowledge, I will also reject thee, that thou shalt be no priest to me: seeing thou hast forgotten the law of thy God, I will also forget thy children.
- Colossians 1:9-10 For this cause we also, since the day we heard it, do not cease to pray for you, and to desire that ye might be filled with the knowledge of his will in all wisdom and spiritual understanding; 10 That ye might walk worthy of the Lord unto all pleasing, being fruitful in every good work, and increasing in the knowledge of God;
- Colossians 3:10 And have put on the new man, which is renewed in knowledge after the image of him that created him: The word of knowledge is what reprograms a soul from operating under the old man’s way of life to operating as the new man, not old, but renewed.
- 1 Timothy 2:3-4 For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Saviour; 4 Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth.
- Listen to how Paul provides a word of knowledge to help Christians identify themselves since the word of knowledge is making information part of your identity.
- Romans 6:3, 16 Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death? … 16 Know ye not, that to whom ye yield yourselves servants to obey, his servants ye are to whom ye obey; whether of sin unto death, or of obedience unto righteousness?
- 1 Corinthians 3:16 Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you?
- 1 Corinthians 6:3, 9, 15-16 Know ye not that we shall judge angels? how much more things that pertain to this life? … 9 Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind, … 15 Know ye not that your bodies are the members of Christ? shall I then take the members of Christ, and make them the members of an harlot? God forbid. 16 What? know ye not that he which is joined to an harlot is one body? for two, saith he, shall be one flesh.
- Listen to how Peter explains it: 2 Peter 1:2-3 Grace and peace be multiplied unto you through the knowledge of God, and of Jesus our Lord, 3 According as his divine power hath given unto us all things that pertain unto life and godliness, through the knowledge of him that hath called us to glory and virtue:
Opposition to this spiritual gift
- Affections contrary to God’s revelation of Himself
- Romans 1:28 And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient;
- This country has been in a process of forgetting God for years as led by the courts and lawyers. Luke 11:52 Woe unto you, lawyers! for ye have taken away the key of knowledge: ye entered not in yourselves, and them that were entering in ye hindered.
- Thoughts contrary to God’s revelation of Himself
- 2 Corinthians 10:5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;
- Inability of a Christian to allow suffering in his life
- Philippians 3:8 Yea doubtless, and I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them but dung, that I may win Christ, 9 And be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith: 10 That I may know him, and the power of his resurrection, and the fellowship of his sufferings, being made conformable unto his death;