Text: 1 Corinthians 12:8
We are studying the spiritual gifts found in 1 Corinthians 12. This first spiritual gift is the word of wisdom.
Let’s begin by saying what the word of wisdom is not. It is not a new dream, a new vision, a new idea not found in the Bible. A word of wisdom describes how to apply truth. Wisdom in general is the application of knowledge. Even the world has its own wisdom, or way of applying the information it accepts.
Listen to this verse that helps define wisdom as application; Proverbs 24:3 Through wisdom is an house builded. So you may know what a nail gun is, what a 2×4 is, what PVC pipe is, but wisdom is the application of that knowledge to lay a foundation, frame it up, and build it out into a house.
The other side of that is Proverbs 14:6 A scorner seeketh wisdom, and findeth it not. No matter how frustrated a scorner is with his own life, he can never find wisdom because he hates wisdom: that’s what makes him a scorner. No matter how much he hates the STD he got committing fornication, he hates the idea that fornication is wrong even more.
Definition of the spiritual gift
- Application of the truth
- As it pertains to the gifts of the Spirit, the word of wisdom is how to apply truth.
- 1 Corinthians 2:12-13 – a person with this gift is able to take truth applied in the past and show you how it is applied today and applied in the future
- Hebrews 11 is a word of wisdom comparing spiritual things with spiritual from the past
- Matthew 24:15 is an example of application of the truth in the future – a word of wisdom
- Romans 10:13 is another example of application of truth
- If you’re saved, you’ll exemplify several different gifts because they all come from the same Holy Spirit of God, but there will be one that will really stand out that ties you to the Lord and to the body of Christ
- The word of wisdom is “know how” in spiritual matters.
- In Israel there was a physical example of this “know how” when the tabernacle was being build
- Exodus 36:1-2 Then wrought Bezaleel and Aholiab, and every wise hearted man, in whom the LORD put wisdom and understanding to know how to work all manner of work for the service of the sanctuary, according to all that the LORD had commanded. 2 And Moses called Bezaleel and Aholiab, and every wise hearted man, in whose heart the LORD had put wisdom, even every one whose heart stirred him up to come unto the work to do it:
- Notice the exercise of that gift was voluntary.
Purpose of the spiritual gift
- Because without God’s intervention, the opposition to God’s wisdom would be the only visible form of wisdom – the world’s wisdom
- This gift serves the congregation to directly accomplish God’s will for them. Ephesians 3:10 To the intent that now unto the principalities and powers in heavenly places might be known by the church the manifold wisdom of God,
- It is the body of Christ applying the truth of God so that every being God created would be able to observe the value of God’s wisdom as opposed to the devil’s wisdom.
Opposition to this spiritual gift
- Wrong information – Cease my son from the instruction that causeth thee to err.
- Manipulation – something valuable to you is set on the altar.
- Compromise – the lesser of two evils
- Force – physical or financial threat
- Erosion – constant assault to wear you down