This is God on trial. This is God on trial by politically correct religious leaders.
Religion is no friend of Jesus Christ (vs 19)
- God was unrecognizable to the priest.
- Ceremony, priesthood, belief system, organization, place of worship, but no actual need for God.
- The word religion only shows up 7 times in the Bible. 6 of those 7 times it is in a negative context.
- If you go to church and have stopped being the church, you’re simply religious.
- If your relationship with the Lord has no eternal value in someone else’s life, you’re just religious.
- If you’re relationship with the Lord has never seen victory over sin, you’re just religious.
- If you don’t know what I mean by a relationship with the Lord Jesus Christ, you’re just religious.
God’s work is vindicated by what it does in public (vss 20-21)
- First of all the Lord Jesus Christ says to His accusers that the reason he is even there is because of what He’s done in public. Otherwise, why would they have hauled Him in?
- No where is the command of God in more conflict with the course of this world than when God says Go and preach and the world says keep it to yourself.
- Deny me before men, I’ll deny you before the Father.
- Filled with the spirit of God they spoke boldly in public
- The complaint of the world that there is no witness is wrong.
You may be offended, but you’ll never find anything wrong with God’s words (vss 22-23)
- Why is the Bible unique among all other books and voices in the world?
- It is the truth, John 17:17
- Where would you find truth if you didn’t have this book? Newspapers, magazines, TV?
- All experiences and doctrines should be laid to the plumbline of God’s words (Galatians 1:6-9, 2 Peter 1:13-21)
- It is the eyewitness account of the Beginning and the End
- Revelation 1:8
- Bible believers have this advantage in life; we know where we came from, we know where we are going, and we know what to do while we are here.
- It is the words of Eternal Life
- John 5:39-40, John 6:68, 1 Peter 1:23, James 1:18
- Eternal life begins now, the words of God show what that looks like – Psalm 73:24-28, 1 Timothy 6:12
- It is Incorruptible
- John 10:35, Isaiah 40:8, Matthew 24:35
- God’s words are not bound (2 Timothy 2:9); there is no copyright on the text of the King James Bible
- It is Prophecy
- Deuteronomy 18:21-22 & Isaiah 41:21-29, Revelation 19:10
- The amount of prophecy already fulfilled in Jesus Christ’s 1st coming is literally astronomical – 50 prophecies = odds better for a blind man to pull one red electron out of a universe filled with black electrons: 1×10^157th mathematically miraculous (Peter Stoner & Robert Newman. Science Speaks).
- As Stoner concludes, ‘Any man who rejects Christ as the Son of God is rejecting a fact, proved perhaps more absolutely than any other fact in the world (Stoner, p.112).’
What sin would do to God if it could (vs 24)
- What you see after the Lord Jesus Christ has been arrested, harassed, accused, beaten, and now put in chains taunted and sent away.
- Sin is not satisfied to exile the Lord Jesus Christ or the Holy Spirit of God. Sin needs to beat and bloody God, mock and ridicule Him, then kill him in the most shameful painful way it can.
The irony of Christ in chains while a liar is free (vs 25)
- Jesus Christ is being interrogated and prosecuted while Peter lies and is comforted.
- That is the gospel. Your eternal freedom, your punishment for your sin, your opportunity to go to Heaven is all laid on someone else’s back.
A Christian’s hypocrisy will be found out (vs 26)
- Oftentimes in this life.
- Judgment seat of Christ will try every man’s work of what sort it is
Conviction in a Christian’s life (vs 27)
- That rooster didn’t mean anything else to anyone else other than a rooster crowing. But that rooster meant something to Peter.
- Difference between Holy Spirit conviction and satanic guilt.
- One leads to repentance the other you can’t do anything about.
- It’s fitting that the crow of a rooster would signal the conviction of a saint
- A rooster crows at the approach of dawn. Conviction is the reminder 1 John 3:3 And every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, even as he is pure.
- A rooster crows as a warning