Text: 1 Corinthians 13:4
Sources of patience
- Tribulation – Romans 5:3 And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience;
- Scripture – Romans 15:4 For whatsoever things were written aforetime were written for our learning, that we through patience and comfort of the scriptures might have hope.
- Godly examples – James 5:10-11 Take, my brethren, the prophets, who have spoken in the name of the Lord, for an example of suffering affliction, and of patience. 11 Behold, we count them happy which endure. Ye have heard of the patience of Job, and have seen the end of the Lord; that the Lord is very pitiful, and of tender mercy.
- God the Father – Romans 15:5 Now the God of patience and consolation grant you to be likeminded one toward another according to Christ Jesus:
Benefits of patience
- Fruit – Luke 8:15 But that on the good ground are they, which in an honest and good heart, having heard the word, keep it, and bring forth fruit with patience.
- The farmer plants. The gardener plants. The husbandman plants. If the soil is right, the water is right, the only thing that separates the seed from the fruit is time.
- In your Christian life patience is the difference between you memorizing a few verses or being able to recite what pastor says versus it becoming a part of your identity.
- Hebrews 10:36 For ye have need of patience, that, after ye have done the will of God, ye might receive the promise.
- Encouragement to others – 2 Thessalonians 1:4 So that we ourselves glory in you in the churches of God for your patience and faith in all your persecutions and tribulations that ye endure:
- Biographies are so inspiring because of what God was able to do with someone who exercised patience in faith.
- Some of you I rejoice with seeing the Lord working in your lives and your desire to do more for Him. He’s been waiting for your will to line up with His and He’s arranging it so that the most fruit will be borne out of this.
- Keeps you in the race –
- Keeps you in the race for two reasons:
- 1) Because you avoid unnecessary burdens. Instant gratification. That is a weight that will cause you to leave the race. Hebrews 12:1 Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us,
- Patience is the ability to go further. Pace yourself.
- Develop a way to unplug spiritually. What do I mean? I mean a way to stop carrying the burden for a while. God created the sabbath for a reason.
- 2) Because you avoid bitterness that eats you from the inside out. Colossians 3:13 Forbearing one another, and forgiving one another, if any man have a quarrel against any: even as Christ forgave you, so also do ye.
- You spend time in church, you’re going to have disagreements.
- Suffer through bitterness, reviling, indifference, and your own imagination.
- Build hope – Romans 5:4 And patience, experience; and experience, hope;
- It makes God happy – 1 Peter 2:20 For what glory is it, if, when ye be buffeted for your faults, ye shall take it patiently? but if, when ye do well, and suffer for it, ye take it patiently, this is acceptable with God.
- Perfecting of the saints – James 1:4 But let patience have her perfect work, that ye may be perfect and entire, wanting nothing.