Text: Galatians 5:19-21
The works of the flesh are manifest, that means they are obvious. There is no secret to it. The filthy inside works its way out. The filthy inside becomes manifest. Paul lists a few works of the flesh and says there are more, but that’s enough. He says in verse 21 …and such like… meaning there are more, but that’s good enough for what I’m going to explain to you. The point being what’s on the inside has an outward expression. In a broader way, the culture is the outward expression of the religion of the people. But let’s stick to making personal application.
After sin enters the bloodlines through Adam and the rest of Adam’s race is now conceived in iniquity and born with sin coursing through our veins. Paul said, in me, that is, in my flesh, dwelleth no good thing. The relationship to God had to be on a spiritual basis, at least while we are in these bodies. Our problem is we think we are our bodies. And part of us is our body, but that part in Christ is dead, crucified.
- First mention is in context with righteousness, Matthew 6:33
- Romans 14:17 – kingdom of God is not physical it’s spiritual. God must be worshipped in spirit and in truth.
- Luke 17:20-21, KOG is within you
- 1 Corinthians 6:9-11
- The flesh is full of those things (Galatians 5:19-21 & 1 Corinthians 15:50)
- such were some of you—at salvation God has reckoned that flesh dead (Galatians 2:20)
- Washed, sanctified, justified
- 1 Corinthians 4:20—not in word, but in power
- Matthew 12:28—it is a powerful spiritual kingdom that flushes out filth by filling the vessel with something pure and holy
- Luke 16:16—kingdom of God is made available to people after the resurrection of the Lord,
Entering the kingdom of God
- John 3:3, 5 entered by the new birth
- Born of God to become a son of God
- 1 Peter 1:23
- 1 John 3:9 the part that is born again does not sin, it craves righteousness
- Ephesians 4:24—the new man created in holiness
- Colossians 3:10
The old man in contrast with the new
- New man = inner man Ephesians 3:16 That he would grant you, according to the riches of his glory, to be strengthened with might by his Spirit in the inner man;
- Romans 6:6—is crucified with Christ
- Ephesians 4:22—corrupt
- Colossians 3:9—filthy deeds
- A Christian is really two people and can act according to the old man or the new man, Romans 8:1
- No record of anyone leaving or being thrown out of this kingdom
- It is impossible for a man who trusts in riches to enter it, Matthew 19:24
- People mistake this to mean you can lose your salvation when nothing of salvation is ever said.
- What is an inheritance? Possessions passed on after death.