Text: Song of Solomon 1:2
Similarities of love and wine
- Alcohol can:
- Sorrowful can find temporary relief in alcohol.
- Scared can find temporary courage in alcohol.
- Overwhelmed can find temporary forgetfulness in alcohol.
- These are the reasons people are willing to spend their living on booze. So what is wrong with alcohol? It is a poor substitute for love.
- Love can:
- Husbands love your wives. Cheer her heart. Relieve her sorrow like alcohol would. Take away her fears like alcohol would. Ease her burden like alcohol would.
- 1 John 4:18 There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love.
- Here is an insecure guy who gets some booze in him and suddenly he’s 10 ft tall and bulletproof. Ends up with a bloody nose and black eye in the morning. On the other hand here is young David who loves the God of Israel and hears of this giant named Goliath making fun of Israel and Israel’s God.
- I’m going to be able to face this just as soon as we pray about this as a family.
- I’m going to be able to move on just as soon as I spend some time with my brothers and sisters in Christ.
Better because there are no side effects
- Damaging vs beneficial
- Cost money vs freely given
- Weakening vs edifying
Filling brings expression
- Filled with alcohol affects how you walk, talk, act.
- Filling is expressive. Notice the expressiveness, Let him kiss me.
- Filled with love affects how you walk, talk, act.
- Love is not expressive because of the risk involved. Filled with fear instead of love
- When you were younger and saw her and knew you wanted to get to know her, it made you nervous.
- Yes, No, and if you’re real bold, Maybe.
- But when she said Yes! WOO HOO – Romans 5:5 And hope maketh not ashamed; because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us.
- Love is not expressive because of the resentment involved. Filled with bitterness instead of love.
- Love is not expressive because it’s grown cold. Filled with things as benign as distraction to something as malignant as sin.
- Filling brings expression
- Jesus Christ expressed his love for you.