Text: John 19:23-24
God’s righteousness is described in its fashion
- The Holy Spirit makes an interesting fashion statement about the details of Christ’s coat.
- In the Bible righteousness is typified by clothes.
- Adam and Eve sinned and they sewed fig leaves to cover themselves as a reaction to sin and shame. God would end up covering them with a lambskin.
- Revelation 19:8 ….for the fine linen is the righteousness of saints.
- Psalms 132:9 Let thy priests be clothed with righteousness…
- Even when God describes righteousness in negative terms such as man’s own righteousness He describes it as clothing; Isaiah 64:6 But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags…
- But Jesus Christ’s coat is a great example of God’s righteousness.
- What is a seam? It is the joining of two or more layers stitched together to make one.
- Righteousness is not a stitching together of Jesus Christ and whatever else you can put with him. It is Jesus Christ alone – without seam.
- Romans 5:18 Therefore as by the offence of one judgment came upon all men to condemnation; even so by the righteousness of one the free gift came upon all men unto justification of life.
- The soldiers would also say, Let us not rend it. Meaning it had no value if it was shared. God’s righteousness has no value if it’s shared with you. You either get it whole or you don’t get it at all.
- Woven describes how the fabric is put together.
- Woven versus knit or crocheted clothing. A knit or crochet is a looped pattern.
- Woven material is a cross pattern.
- From the top
- God’s righteousness begins with God, not you. You don’t work your way up.
- Proverbs 14:12 There is a way which seemeth right unto a man, but the end thereof are the ways of death.
Gambling for it reveals the distraction of people
- You notice when God is at work most people just don’t care.
- Soldiers decide to gamble while God is paying for their sin with an eternal sacrifice.
- Luke 17:27 They did eat, they drank, they married wives, they were given in marriage, until the day that Noe entered into the ark, and the flood came, and destroyed them all.
- How shall we escape if we neglect so great a salvation? – just neglect.
- You are distracted by everyday things.
- Soldiers who did this type of thing on a regular basis. Nothing new.
- Yet, the Holy Spirit told YOU, whether ye eat or drink do all to the glory of God. Now, things don’t get more everyday than that. The point is your walk with the Lord Jesus Christ is an everyday thing. And when you forget Him in the everyday things you’ve forgotten Him. And that goes without saying that you won’t follow Him in bigger things.
- If the god you’re pulling behind your truck or the god you sit in front of for hours doesn’t do it, then entanglement will.
- You get over-obligated and miss God’s work.
- You get over obligated because you think there is something in it for you. You know why folks go into debt they can’t pay? Because they thought there was something in it for them that seemed worth it at the time.
- They are both just as effective at putting a wet blanket on godliness in your life.
Great realization of a detail foretold
- The scripture John refers to is Psalm 22 written by David 1000 years before. The prophecy detailed that Christ’s clothing would be divided up among the soldiers and his coat would be gambled for.
- You ever admire good work? Craftsmanship. Details make the difference.
- Details the Lord knows about you – Psalm 139