Text: Revelation 20:10-15
This is a Bible subject. I say that because people say the subject I’m talking about today is preached to scare people and the implication is that it’s a made up subject to control people. It isn’t. This is a Bible subject. This is a warning from God.
The other thing is when a Christian stops believing in eternal judgment is when he has a loved one go there. Eternal damnation is so hard to believe. When someone stops believing it, it’s because there is something personal that’s happened.
People are willing to believe in an eternal reward, but eternal judgment doesn’t get the same consideration.
The People being judged
- Dead, small and great….sea gave the dead…death and hell delivered up the dead… All the wicked and unrighteous are dead at this point. The souls of those who refused to fear God and had no payment for their sin are now dealing with a dirty soul.
- The devil is cast in. The devil is not in hell right now (1 Peter 5:8).
- No respect of persons – small and great
- No place hidden – sea, death and hell
The Procedure of the judgment
- Books opened…. What books?
- The word of God – John 12:48 He that rejecteth me, and receiveth not my words, hath one that judgeth him: the word that I have spoken, the same shall judge him in the last day.
- So the judgment is already laid out. Problem is that people are not familiar with it.
- What’s missing is any opportunity to plead your case. Why? Because what you did with your life is your argument.
- Judged according to works…
- Just like in a court today, you are judged for your part in a crime committed
- Every work of the flesh is a crime against God
- Galatians 5:19-21
- Matthew 12:36 But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment.
- Remember, all liars shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.
- Romans 2:16 In the day when God shall judge the secrets of men by Jesus Christ according to my gospel.
- Details that show He knows you. He put you together didn’t He? He made all the chemicals balance. He took dirt and water and made a person. You and I can take dirt and water and make mud and a mess. Or maybe take dirt and water and if we’re real creative make a brick or a piece of pottery. But God took dirt and water and made a person.
The Punishment of the judgment
- Lake of fire...
- You say how can fire be in liquid form?
- You’ve seen a type of it on this earth when a volcano erupts or flows. God made that and you can’t survive it, yet God made it.
- How about the Sun? God made the sun. God is purer than the sun. He created it, but you can’t look at it for more than five seconds without burning your own eyes.
- This punishment proves several things:
- There is no such thing as “annihilation.”
- There is no such thing as purgatory.
- There is no such thing as reincarnation.
- The fire in is literal and not just separation from God – “and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever” (Revelation 20:10, 14:10,11, Mark 9:43, 44, 45 ,46, 48).
- You say that’s unjust.
- In Luke 16 a fellow in hell didn’t want his brothers to go to Hell. Did you realize that people in Hell don’t want you to go to Hell? God doesn’t want you to go to Hell. Christians who love you don’t want you to go to Hell. The only person that wants you in Hell is the devil and you.
The Purpose of the Great White Throne
- To fully remove sin and death