Text: Revelation 21
Reconciliation of all things (vss 1-3)
- At this point you have come full circle in the Bible. Genesis 1:1 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth… Revelation 21:1 And I saw a new heaven and a new earth…
- John sees New Jerusalem, which is what we know as “Heaven” with the golden streets and such. It will be described later in the chapter.
- The fallen creation had been used by God to produce the only thing this universe will produce which is a people prepared to dwell with God forever.
Rest from all work (vss 4-6)
- You can live in a mansion in fear, bitterness, anger, etc.
- Revelation 21:4, 7:16-17—no tears, sin, death…
- Isaiah 65:17—no bad memories
- Freely allowed to come and drink
- Galatians 4:26 But Jerusalem which is above is free, which is the mother of us all.
Rights to this new life (vss 7-8)
- Faith is what pleases God in this life. A sinner is going to have to believe the witness he is given by God.
- 1 John 5:4 For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith.
Resplendent glory of New Jerusalem (vss 9-27)
- 21:16—Size 12,000 furlongs (furlong = 1/8 mile) = 1500 miles length, width, height
- a single city that covers half the continental United States
- Height 5,462 Sears Towers stacked on each other
- Commercial jets fly about 6 miles above ground
- 21:18,21—Foundation of gold, streets of gold with gemstone garnishes inlaid in the foundations with the apostles names (Ephesians 2:19-20—pyramid)
- 21:17—the wall is about 250 feet wide
- 21:21—pearly gates (diameter as wide as the wall? 21:15)
- Largest pearl on earth found is 9.5 inches long, oblong shaped, weighs 14 lbs and worth $40M ($500/grain)
- Many Mansions—John 14:2-3