Text: Revelation 22:1
Verses 1-5 are a description of eternity in the future as a continuation of Revelation 21. The Lord said in Revelation 21:6 that it is done and he would give him that is athirst of the water of life freely. After New Jerusalem is seen coming down to rest on the new earth, there is a river of clear water that flows from the throne.
Water of life
- Revelation 21:6 And he said unto me, It is done. I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end. I will give unto him that is athirst of the fountain of the water of life freely.
- Water – H2O – exists in eternity. Heaven, eternity, these are just as spiritual as they are physical. Just like a lake of fire is not a spiritual separation from God, but a literal fire.
- Romans 1:20 For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:
Six ways water is like the Holy Spirit of God
- Water is a physical representation of the spirit of God.
- John 7:38-39 He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water. 39 (But this spake he of the Spirit, which they that believe on him should receive: for the Holy Ghost was not yet given; because that Jesus was not yet glorified.)
- Water quenches thirst – John 4:14 But whosoever drinketh of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst; but the water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life.
- Water cleans dirty things – Ephesians 5:26 That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word, and 1 Corinthians 6:11.
- Water adapts to every temperature – It is the only chemical compound that occurs naturally on Earth’s surface in all three physical states: solid, liquid, and gas. Other compounds may turn to liquid, solid, or gas and then be destroyed, but water moves through every phase and retains its own nature and composition. The Holy Spirit has the ability to take a cold heart laden with sin and warm it with fervency. The Holy Spirit also has the ability to take a heart that is burning in its lust and cool it off.
- Water is life – John 4:14 But whosoever drinketh of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst; but the water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life. Fruit is grown as a result of water. Also birthed out of water (mom’s water breaks) and a child of God is born of the Spirit of God.
- Water softens the earth – Jeremiah 18:4 And the vessel that he made of clay was marred in the hand of the potter: so he made it again another vessel, as seemed good to the potter to make it.
- Water without restraint is destructive – Genesis 6:3 And the LORD said, My spirit shall not always strive with man, for that he also is flesh: yet his days shall be an hundred and twenty years. What follows is the flood that only Noah and his family survived in an ark.
Problems caused by lack of water, and lack of God’s Spirit
- Existence without water is dead – Romans 8:9 But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his. Dead in trespasses and sins described in Ephesians 2:2-3
- Dehydration. Spiritual dehydration I think as only occurring in a Christian’s life. Since someone without the Spirit of God is dead, dehydration is not an issue. But to someone who has had water and now lacks water, dehydration is the problem.
- Extreme thirst – First, you’ll begin to drink whatever is available filthy or not.
- Less frequent urination – can’t get rid of impurities anymore. Water, like the Spirit of God cleans outside and inside so a lack of water means the vessel gets dirty.
- Fatigue – You begin to shut down. What was functioning before stops functioning.
- Dizziness – fruitless and disoriented. Lose your grounding.
- Confusion – state of mind goes from sound mind to clouded and confused. Very poor decision making.
- Can’t keep down fluids. Like a dehydrated Christian that can’t stand preaching anymore. Body begins to reject what it needs.