Text: 1 Corinthians 15:1-28
Some in the Corinthian church were debating whether there was a resurrection and whether or not the Lord Jesus Christ even resurrected from the dead (1 Corinthians 15:12). So Paul deals with the resurrection in this chapter.
Proof of the resurrection (vss 1-11)
- Gospel of the resurrection
- Believers stand in faith on it
- Believers are saved by receiving the gospel
- Scriptures testified to to the resurrection
- Eyewitness accounts of the resurrection
- More than 500 eyewitnesses
- James (the Lord’s half brother)
- All the apostles
- Paul’s life turned around because of the resurrection
- He becomes a minister of something he sought to destroy.
- The diversity of testimonies, the order of events all testify of the resurrection.
- Point is that we are all here because of a risen savior, not a dead one.
Proposition of no resurrection (vss 12-19)
- Some were saying no resurrection. Here is an example. 2 Timothy 2:16-18 But shun profane and vain babblings: for they will increase unto more ungodliness. 17 And their word will eat as doth a canker: of whom is Hymenaeus and Philetus; 18 Who concerning the truth have erred, saying that the resurrection is past already; and overthrow the faith of some.
- Canker and cancer are similar words. A Christianity without a resurrection is like a cancer ridden body.
- If no resurrection, everything we’re doing is a waste of time.
- Preaching is a worthless.
- Faith is worthless.
- If no resurrection, we are all liars.
- If no resurrection, we are in our sin.
- If no resurrection, all men die in their sin. Everyone you love died in their sin.
- If no resurrection, we are miserable for living lives based on a lie. Enduring sorrow for no reason. Having a pie in the sky religion. And Karl Marx is right in saying, “Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, and the soul of soulless conditions. It is the opium of the people” In other words, faith in a risen savior is a fairy tale that helps people in hard times.
Prospect of the resurrection (vss 20-28)
- But because the resurrection is no fairy tale. The empty tomb is empty unlike any other religious leader’s tomb.
- Because he lives, we live.
- Resurrection in order
- Christ first (and many OT saints according to Matthew)
- Second coming resurrection (We come back with Jesus Christ at this one.)
- Final resurrection of the dead
- Point is that death as the final enemy is destroyed by the resurrection. Some rise to life, some rise to eternal punishment.
- Daniel 12:2 And many of them that sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake, some to everlasting life, and some to shame and everlasting contempt.
- Revelation 20:11-15 And I saw a great white throne, and him that sat on it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away; and there was found no place for them. 12 And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works. 13 And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works. 14 And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death. 15 And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.