Text: Ephesians 1:1-11
The Lord Jesus Christ is like the ark Noah built. If you got in the ark, that resulted in several benefits to you; the main one being you were saved.
Consolidation of spiritual blessings (vs 3)
- Because all blessings are in and flow from the Lord Jesus Christ, then our blessings right now have to be spiritual blessings.
- What are spiritual blessings in Christ? Justified by God, made righteous, peace with God, rejoicing in hope, brought into the family of God, forgiveness of sin, opportunity in prayer, etc.
- Now physical blessings are also found in Jesus Christ and He returns with His reward (Revelation 22:12)
Chosen characteristics of God’s people (vs 4)
- These characteristics would be lived out in the Lord Jesus Christ, the body of God
- Before foundation of the world
- We would be holy
- We would be blameless
- We would walk in love
Corruptible body is predestined to be changed (vs 5)
- Adoption is complete when the body is changed.
- Romans 8:15, 23
- Galatians 4:4-5
- Ephesians 1:14, 4:30
- Philippians 3:21
- Romans 7:18
Caused believers to be accepted (vs 6)
- The Lord Jesus Christ takes the unacceptable and makes it acceptable.
- To the glory of his grace meaning He didn’t have to do any of it.
Cancelled sin with his blood (vs 7)
- Bought back from the wages of sin
Conferred wisdom to believers (vss 8-9)
- in wisdom (Proverbs 8:11-12)
- in prudence (Proverbs 14:8, 22:3)
- As a believer you have insight into what God is doing
- His will for your life as his creature
- His will for creation in general
Congregates all creation (vs 10)
- Unity in Christ, and only in Christ
- Gathering of saints past and present and all of creation.
Congratulates those who trust Christ (vs 11)
- Inherit a glorified body.
- Inherit spiritual blessings.
- Inherit eternal riches.
- Go to prepare a place for you, a mansion (John 14:2)
- If we suffer with him we will also reign with him (Romans 8:17)
Conditional blessings (1:12)
- Trusted in Christ