There is contrast between Vashti and Esther in regards to their attitude toward the king’s command. Vashti rejects the invitation to come before the king, while Esther is humbled and fears greatly before the presence of the king.
Seven men are a type of seven angels in Revelation. Seven wise counsellors which stand before the face of the king like the seven spirits of God. After a week of celebration, three and a half years into the rule of this Gentile king. All the numbers have prophetic importance.
Spiritual application account.
Deposed Gentile bride that will be replaced by a Jewish bride.
Rebellion against a personal command
- Vashti is called by king Ahasuerus.
- Individual responsibility
- Colossians 3:23-25 And whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as to the Lord, and not unto men; Knowing that of the Lord ye shall receive the reward of the inheritance: for ye serve the Lord Christ. But he that doeth wrong shall receive for the wrong which he hath done: and there is no respect of persons.
Rebellion against a glorious command
- King commands that the crown be brought out and the glory of the kingdom and the beauty of Vashti join the presence of the king.
- Psalm 119:105 Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.
- Proverbs 6:23 For the commandment is a lamp; and the law is light; and reproofs of instruction are the way of life:
- Live in the light or get used to the dark.
Rebellion against a reasonable command
- Luke 17:10 So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants: we have done that which was our duty to do.
- Consider Solomon’s conclusion.
Rebellion against a consequential command
- 2 Corinthians 5:10 For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ; that every one may receive the things done in his body, according to that he hath done, whether it be good or bad.
- Rewards or regrets.