Text: Ephesians 1:13-23
Sealed with the holy Spirit (vs 13)
- Process by which the gospel works to save is found in verse 1:13: 1) heard the word of truth → 2) trusted → 3) sealed with the Holy Spirit
- Something sealed is airtight, closed, but also assured and guaranteed
- 2 Corinthians 1:22 Who hath also sealed us, and given the earnest of the Spirit in our hearts.
Down payment until the body is changed (vs 14)
- Earnest is the down payment as in earnest money.
- The holy Spirit is the earnest down payment of what God intends to do in the future.
- Redemption of the purchased possession
- Romans 8:23
- Galatians 4:5
Encouragement to other saints (vss 15-16)
- Spirit is how the work of the Lord is multiplied.
- Seeing the Lord Jesus Christ work in others should be a blessing. When it’s someone you love, it is surely a blessing.
Knowledge of Jesus Christ (vs 17)
- Spirit of wisdom through knowing Jesus Christ
- Spirit of revelation through knowing Jesus Christ
Enlightened by understanding (vs 18)
- Know the hope of his calling
- Riches of his glorious inheritance in the saints
- Greatness of his power
- First wrought in Jesus Christ (vss 20-23)