Text: Esther 2:5-11
Esther is an orphan with traits desirable to the king (vs 7). But that is only the beginning. She needs to be prepared for royal service. This is a great lesson for us to better understand the work of the Lord Jesus Christ and the Holy Spirit of God in preparing his people to rule and reign with him.
Mordecai looks like like a type of the Lord Jesus Christ as the Son of Man in these verses while Hegai serves as a type of the Holy Spirit.
Mordecai is a type of the Son of Man
- Son of Man is a certain Jew who will shepherd the bride (vs 5)
- Son of Man is with the captivity who will shepherd the bride (vs 6)
- Son of Man becomes a father to the fatherless (vs 7)
- Son of Man is a counselor to help the bride navigate a hostile world (vs 10)
Hegai is a type of the Holy Spirit of God
- Hegai gets the ladies prepared for examination by the king as they are now in his custody. (vs 8)
- These things show the relationship of the bride to be and the Holy Spirit (vs 9)
- Pleased him
- So what is it that God’s Holy Spirit finds in the bride to be that makes him happy?
- Hebrews 11:6 But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.
- 1 Thessalonians 2:3-4
- What does God want, and how does he get it?
- We are vessels and God gives us things to see how we handle them
- God is interested in EVERYTHING – Colossians 3:17, Colossians 3:23, 1 Corinthians 10:31, Matthew 12:36
- God is watching and he wants to get something out of you –
- Exodus 16:4 that I may prove them… why not FEED them? B/C God knew he would take care of them, but he wants YOU to know that
- I read that and I’d be tempted to take some extra… One in the bag, one in the bag, one in the…pocket…
- Proverbs 17:3
- Parents, ever watched your kid do something wrong and think when is he gonna learn? How about watch them help someone who needed help and you think, YES! That one’s mine!
- Abraham – Genesis 22:1
- Jeroboam – 1 Kings 11:35-39
- Obtained kindness of him
- When he finds the one that pleases him, he starts to make investment in that one.
- Gave her things for her purification
- When you get saved the Spirit you are given is called the Holy Spirit. Holy Spirit is not only a name, but a description. In the Bible you have unclean spirits contrasted with the Holy Spirit.
- The book that corrects your life is called the HOLY Bible. Again, not just a title, but a description of the words of God. The book has to be holy if it going to make a holy people.
- 1 Corinthians 3:17 If any man defile the temple of God, him shall God destroy; for the temple of God is holy, which temple ye are.
- 2 Timothy 1:9-10 Who hath saved us, and called us with an holy calling, not according to our works, but according to his own purpose and grace, which was given us in Christ Jesus before the world began, But is now made manifest by the appearing of our Saviour Jesus Christ, who hath abolished death, and hath brought life and immortality to light through the gospel:
- In the Levitical priesthood you had holy things, but ultimately it had to be the PEOPLE that are holy. Be ye holy as I am holy saith the Lord.
- The opposite of holy is profane; Neither shall ye profane my holy name.
- Gave her things that belonged to her
- Seven maidens as companions
- Isaiah 11:2 likened to the seven spirits before the throne of God
- Gave preference to her by giving her the best place (sanctified – set apart)