Text: Ephesians 1:5-12
Perhaps one of the most misunderstood things is the will of God. There are things God likes and wants to see done based on who He is. The things He wants done, He either does Himself, if no one else can do them, or he reveals what He wants done to people so they can do them. The Lord is not trying to hide his purpose or his desire from folks and make it a guessing game. Then what God wants done, He acts according to the counsel of His will. That means He sets his agenda according to what He wants done and he operates and acts according to his will. Obviously He doesn’t act contrary to His own will, but people do. God has characteristics that show you his will is not always done such as longsuffering, grace, mercy, and love. And so when people act contrary to His will, He still works according to His will to work with people to bring them in line with His will.
Pleasure of his will
- Pleasure of his will (vs 5)
- God wants children and planned for children. That is part of God’s will. This is actual planned parenthood, not the business of killing children in a murder mill called Planned Parenthood.
- Galatians 3:26 For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus.
- Spiritually you become a child of God before you physically become a child of God.
- Romans 8:15 For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father.
- 1 John 3:1-2 Behold, what manner of love the Father hath bestowed upon us, that we should be called the sons of God: therefore the world knoweth us not, because it knew him not. Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is.
- The son of God puts on the new man – Ephesians 2:15, 4:24, Colossians 3:10
- New birth – 1 Peter 1:23 Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever.
- This new seed or generation is holy, sinless and incorruptible. 1 John 3:9 – remember this is only the spirit that has been born again so far. We still live in bodies of flesh that are full of sin.
- 2 Peter 1:4 …partakers of the divine nature…
- Spiritually, you have been given power to become a physical son of God in the future
- That’s important because we are currently robed in flesh that is the old man
- John 1:12
- 1 Corinthians 15:51-52
Revelation of his will (vs 9)
- Having made known unto us the mystery of his will (vs 9)
- Is it necessary for God to reveal Himself to man?
- Need God to tell me what He likes. Cain’s religion – If I like it, God likes it. Lent. Who cares?
- Need God to tell me what He means.
- Need God to tell me what I’m doing. Self deception – Proverbs 16:2.
- Need God to tell me who I am.
- Need God to tell me who He is. Thou art the Christ…flesh and blood hath not revealed this unto you
- The will of God in the Bible needs to be:
- Proved (Romans 12:2)
- Understood (Ephesians 5:17)
- Obeyed from the heart (Ephesians 6:6)
- A Christian’s fulfillment (Colossians 1:9-10)
- Labor that someone else would be complete in God’s will (Colossians 4:12)
- Submitted to (2 Timothy 1:1)
Work of his will (vs 11)
- Worketh all things after the counsel of his will (vs 11)
- Now this shows you what God is doing. God’s blueprints for what He’s doing.
- Answered prayer works according to what God is doing, taking counsel of his own will.
- Elijah on a national level with the prophets at Carmel, and then giving special treatment to the widow who took care of Elijah when no one else would. The Lord scolds the Pharisees with that story and they threw Jesus out of the temple for it. (Luke 4:24-26)
- Abraham prays for Sodom and Gomorrah and the Lord negotiates with him in Genesis 18:24-32 for 10 souls. Abraham started with 50, 45, 40, 30, finally 10.
- Prayer promise about being with Jesus Christ and having a need – John 15:7 If ye abide in me, and my words abide in you, ye shall ask what ye will, and it shall be done unto you.
- James 4:3 Ye ask, and receive not, because ye ask amiss, that ye may consume it upon your lusts. Here is a guy who requests we buy a certain tool kit and I don’t think it’s necessary.
- Gifts are given according to what God is doing, taking counsel of his own will.
- Blessings work according to what God is doing, taking counsel of his own will.