Text: Ephesians 2:1-7
- dead in trespasses and sin (vs 1)
- Ezra 10:19 – Dead is a description of guilt by the law.
- You are not condemned before the law is applied. So no one can be predestined to hell or heaven. And no one is condemned based on their nature or ability to sin. It is the act of sin that is judged.
- Revelation 20:12 And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.
- 1 Corinthians 3:15 …work… & 2 Corinthians 5:10 …things done…
- Age of accountability
- Deuteronomy 1:39 Moreover your little ones, which ye said should be a prey, and your children, which in that day had no knowledge between good and evil, they shall go in thither, and unto them will I give it, and they shall possess it. No guilt associated with that generation yet.
- Romans 7:9 For I was alive without the law once: but when the commandment came, sin revived, and I died. You say, what about someone who is mentally retarded or unable to understand good and evil. If there is no understanding, doesn’t matter the age, then there is no guilt.
- Children are not tried as adults even in our court system unless there is good evidence that they have full understanding of their crime. In otherwise, they had knowledge of the evil (crime they were committing) and knowledge of the good (why they shouldn’t be committing this crime).
- Dead in sin, not dead in good works
- A fellow said, “I’ve taken in orphans, fed other people, helped out the needy. Oh, yea, I must be a horrible sinner.” Preacher said those are all well and good, but those aren’t your problem. Your sin is the problem. Good works are not a payment for sin here or in God’s court. Preacher asked him if he’d ever looked at a woman and lusted after her in his heart. He said yes. Preacher asked have you ever lied? He said yes. The law doesn’t deal with the good things you’ve done. It deals with sin that is paid for with blood. And if your sin isn’t paid for, then you are a dead man walking – condemned – dead in trespasses and sin.
- Condemnation of God on a soul
- John 3:18, 36
- He’s condemned because he won’t accept God’s payment for his sin.
- Luke 9:60 Jesus said unto him, Let the dead bury their dead: but go thou and preach the kingdom of God.
- Ye walked according to the course of this world
- Dead does not mean unable to make a responsible choice. To the contrary, it means you were able to make a choice and you made the wrong the choice to follow the lusts in the world.
- 1 John 2:15-17 – carnal, condemned world
- Ye walked according to the prince of the power of the air
- This is the devil
- His base appeal is to the flesh.
- A more sophisticated appeal will be to the spirit to counter God’s appeal.
- Fulfilling desires of the flesh and imaginations of the mind.
- By nature means you inherited from Adam a default to carnal life.
- 1 Corinthians 15:22
Condemned no more
- Romans 5:6-11
- Spiritually, you are seated with Christ if you’re saved
- Colossians 3:1-4
- Future of kindness for all who trust Jesus Christ. That tells me there is so much more of God’s kindness in the future that we have no idea about, but the Lord is looking forward to showing us about Himself.